Friday 22 May 2020

A Covid sea front walk Ayr - Barassie

I needed a change from starting walks from my doorstep so the good lady gave me a lift into Ayr and I started this walk from Wellington Square. Essentially following the Ayrshire Coastal Path route.
The forecast was for warmth but at this early stage a cool breeze meant top kept on.

I have walked around here many times but was surprised and delighted when I glanced behind the courthouse to see another war memorial which I didn't know existed. Dedicated to the Royal Scots Fusiliers, happy to add this to my blog.

I headed along the shore front, initially following the Lang Scots mile signs, which proves we were hardier than our southern counterparts.

Down at the docks this ruined boat is going nowhere soon but it does make a decent snap.

Heading into town this Black Guillemot was not the least bothered when I looked over a fence to get a closer look.

Most of the mute swans were in this sleeping pose but I am sure the eye was open watching me.

I had a nice surprise meeting Lorna on the bridge, so after a social distancing chat I headed down to the Newton area. Sadly this is the most depressing run down section of the walk but soon I have passed it by including the new travelling site. Four portable toilets situated for 6 caravans. Don't they have loos in their vans? Special treatment all right.

The place was very quiet but it twigged as In crossed the golf course that people were in their homes listening to Wee Nic and our future. Well this course will not be empty soon. Needed some food so headed into town to the excellent Electric bakery for a non healthy sausage roll and apple tart. Well, i am walking off the calories and I have a pear in my rucksack!

A nice walk across Prestwick golf course hoping to get a new butterfly but nothing spotted. Passing the caravan park a stoat ran out of the foliage onto open ground but by the time I got camera out it was back in the long stuff. It has been a long time since I spotted a stoat and certainly not here. Still Troon golf course reached, time for an apple tart picnic enjoying the view over to Arran.

Tranquility disturbed as this military transporter roared overhead heading over Arran, USA bound?

Although the skies were blue it was not the scorching heatwave predicted. The police at Troon do not have any problems clearing the beach today.

Almost home and the last stage of the walk. To be fair I was getting a bit tired, not enough water I suspect. The tide was out at North shore beach, a nice NW view to lead me home.
This felt like a new normal day in these sad times. Glad I did it and now I think time for a beer in the garden, cheers to more walks like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment