Thursday 5 August 2021

Another moorland horseshoe.....Cauldcleugh Head

Hill: Cauldcleugh Head (Hill above the Cauld/Cold Cleugh

Type: Graham/Donald

Height: (619m)

I had nothing planned for this week but the forecast of a weather front coming in from midweek galvanised me into action. It was time to get the last Donalds completed.

Surprised to start my journey in light rain, this was not forecast.  A pleasant long drive to Langholm then a bit of where is this start but I found it after a detour into England.

The start to Tudhope
Sun shining so i got started with a 'gentle' 300m ascent which gets the biggest single climb out of the way. As soon as I stepped into the field I spied fresh coo pats. The grass was waist high, where were they? As it turned out I only met some sheep but I was on full alert. It is only 300m but it was a week since I had done anything and my calves were feeling it. 

ATV track helps
A faint ATV track was welcome which gave a line of sight rather than ploughing through deep grass.

Tudhope trig looking to Cauldcleugh Head
Once up there is a trig at the summit of Tudhope Hill and some very good views, possibly the best of the day.

After that the good going changes totally. I had read reports that this was a horrible bog fest and I can understand why. Although it was very dry on my circuit there were still many unavoidable patches of bog and sphagnum that would be very different after wet weather.

Follow that fence
In truth I found the walk from Tudhope onwards to be a just a long plod. Not overly difficult just awkward walking, eyes down all the time looking for the holes waiting to catch you out. And the views not that great. The hills of the horseshoe and the cleughs have their own attraction but not enough to keep my attention for long.

Unless superfit take the long way round high route
There is a fence to follow and alongside there is also an apparently random set of wooden posts set away from the fence which I was struggling to work out what they were for. I didn't think they were a guided walk route as the terrain was too rough. Eventually the light switched on and I worked it out that they were not a linear walk but guiding you around the worst of the peat hags.

Final section to Cauldcleugh
My ramble took me round the horseshoe from Tudhope-Millstone Edge-Langfae Hill then the prize of Cauldcleugh.

Flat Borders landscape from Cauldcleugh

When I reached Cauldcleugh summit, no trig, no cairn, typical for these hills just a larger iron post. Apt for this terrain. The views are of a largely flat landscape, the odd bump like the Eildons standing out. On a good day you would probably see the Lake District hills but the haze prevented that today but I could see tomorrows objective The Cheviots.

You want to stay high but note the pole and the hags
Next up was possibly the worst of the high terrain as I headed across to Muckle Land Knowe and then a quick change of direction to Pennygant Hill. 

Tudhope behind the pole
Some of the posts found again as I headed for Stob Fell. Felt like a slalom ski racer as I used them to dodge the hags.

The poles take you over and down far side but I wanted to cut off
Looking down I could see that I was heading away from my car so it was time to pick a spot and head off the ridge. Although the posts continued along the high ridge I also found a few on my descent. The grass was waist high but an animal/person had flattened some of the grass to follow at times. Pain in my leg and a bloody cleg had bit me, a nice lump already!!

My car is beside small tree plantation on left, but how to get there?
This was a very steep descent and then the grass turned to tall ferns and newly planted trees. Why does the end of a walk often end so frustratingly? I knew it was a probability but still hacked off. Thankfully I stayed on the fringe of the ferns and found a narrow stone track. However, it narrowed again and I though it had ended into the ferns but relief when it did take me to my expected track close to Billhope cottage.

Relieved to get this track

Time to get some treatment on that cleg bite and then the walk back to the car. Hot, hot, hot. Turned out this area was the warmest in Scotland today.

Looking back to the descent heavy fern growth  and tree planting no matter where you descend
Probably not a walk that I will remember too much about but I sure am glad that I did it after this prolonged dry spell. My thoughts would have been darker if it had been a bog fest. 

Ascent: 571m

Distance: 11.7km

Time: 3,22

Wildlife: Raven; Buzzard; Skylark; Kestrel; Meadow Pipit; Small white; Roe deer

 

No comments:

Post a Comment