Saturday 1 October 2022

Rambling with history along a Drovers Road.....Wether Law

Hill: Wether Law

Type: Sub2k

Height: 479m

I was wakened in the early hours by the rain battering the roof, please not another so called summers day ruined. When I left for the walk the clouds were flying past at a fair speed but at least it was dry and even the odd patch of blue showing.

The Coo on the sign always makes me pause
I parked beside the cemetery at Romanno Bridge, plenty of room even if a big farm vehicle comes down.

After a short tarmac section it was through a gate, there were lots of gates, and I was onto the Drovers Road which goes through to Peebles. Once again a feeling of satisfaction walking over a route our ancestors used. At first very overgrown so waterproof trousers on as the foliage was sodden.


The Drove Road then became a track mainly through woods. Pleasant enough but at one very narrow section fresh coo pats, was I going to be ambushed? All senses on alert but thankfully not.

My final gate marked the end of the woods and the Drove Road continued into the Lyne valley. The track heads towards the Fingland Burn which I have to cross. Red legged partridge are all around and I pass a few feeders. Only a few days until many will be slaughtered for so called sport.

Despite my distaste this is still a beautiful spot. I have a real fondness for these smaller border hills. You rarely meet anyone else and the countryside is special, what's not to like.

Heading for the trees

From same spot return track can be seen flanking hill

Plenty of hidden shooting tracks in these hills
When you leave the trees you could do a quicker route but I wanted the longer circular anti clockwise route. No rush and it is a short walk anyway.

Thankfully the track is mainly grass so gentle on the feet. You do however lose most of the ascent gained since walking from the car.

Climbing again

Wether Law far right

Looking back to the trees I left

The Fingland burn was low so easy to cross and when I reached the end of the hills it is time to leave the Drove Road and head up the obvious ATV track on my left. This is a long gentle ridge walk back the way I came, albeit higher. The track gently climbs and meanders over the top of Green Knowe and Hag Law, all the way up to the summit of Wether Law.

Pentland Hills nicely profiled

Looking back to Coulter Fell etc

There are excellent views of the Border & Pentland hills. I enjoyed the final section to the trig dominated by the Pentland range at its best as well as the clear air giving a view across the water to Fife. Looking back the Broughton, Coulter and north Moffat hills all showed well. Looking east the Moorfoot hills not far away.

Descent view from Wether

Found ATV track path at the trees

More ascent!!

I left the trig in a westward direction to try to find the ATV track I had spotted when leaving the woods. Rough ground to trample but safe enough and a bit further down than I expected I met the ATV track. Of course this meant the track would rise and it did. At least it created a route through the bracken.

Tree or Standing stone

A short clamber through the rough grass and I reached the edge of the woods. From here it was the same track back to the car. I did spot what I thought was an impressive solo standing stone but I reckon it is just a dead tree lol. Although the area has lots of history.

Almost finished looking over to Mendick Hill

A really enjoyable walk in a beautiful landscape. Only met two people both almost at the end. One was on holiday from Orkney who said it had been the worst summer up there that he could remember so not alone in my thoughts. The second was a lady going to meet someone who had started the Drove Road from Peebles. The person was on a charity walk from Lands End to John O'Groats. It can be rewarding and inspirational meeting fellow walkers.

An already good ramble ended even better.

Ascent: 487m

Distance: 11.01k

Time: 2.43

Wildlife: Buzzard; Red Legged Partridge; Meadow Pipit; Raven; Siskin; Meadow Brown; Swallow;


No comments:

Post a Comment