Sunday 29 January 2017

Forth & Clyde Union Canal Kilsyth - Stockingfield Junction


Another section of the canal trek completed and this time I decided on an east to west walk. To my mind it was better to arrive in the city at the end of the walk than vice versa. 
My day started with a couple of train journeys, just like going on holiday, from Ayrshire to Croy. From Croy I had a walk of just over a mile to get to the canal itself. Still, as I have never been in Croy itself, I have passed through many a time on the train, it was a new experience so no hardship.

After leaving the road about half a mile in you are directed down a track. The signing has disappeared and from my google earth review last night I thought I would stay on the main road. This track was taking me eastward, away from where I thought I should be going, but just before doubt fully set in the track turned north and the canal was right there.
Auchinstarry Basin
A cold frosty morning with plenty of ice, thin I presume, on the water. Heading west there is a multitude of canal boats moored up just ahead of me, more than I have seen at any location on the walk so far. It is Auchinstarry basin and apparently has berths for 50 boats, probably all here today. Some are well and truely iced up, I suspect living on a canal boat in winter could be a hard life.
You then have to leave the canal to cross over the main road, yes I presume the one I mentioned earlier, and on the other side head westward young man.
Its still cold here typical path
Apart from the last couple of miles into Glasgow this is a totally rural walk but don't expect much else along the way apart from the canal and the countryside. More than enough for me but others might be disappointed, not much local history to get educated by.
Pink Footed geese
Surprisingly, unlike the Bowling section, this stretch was almost devoid of canal waterbirds. One pair of Goosanders, a couple of Grey Heron, the ubiquitous buzzards, an occasional moorhen and that was about it. As the canal had a fair bit of ice along the full length of the walk that might explain it but I suspect not. In a field a large flock of geese were spotted, I think these are the Pink Footed goose.
Campsie Hills
For around the first third of the walk the Campsie hills are prominent, the hazy light today looking like summer not winter. Kilsyth can be seen, maybe not the most attractive.
A good hike and Twechar is reached, I spent some time mentally debating how to pronounce it. Not much to see, like most of central Scotland mining was its fame and fortune, now long gone. 
Shirva Stables
After passing the village I come across this ruin which I believe is the Shirva stables, where the canals Clydesdale horses were stabled. Real horsepower to power the boats back then. The teams of horses were rested overnight, it is said they were looked after better than the canal labourers. But all gone now.
Kirkintilloch
Onwards to Kirkintilloch where an inland port was built and the town thrived on building canal and ocean going boats. Whist walking I assumed 'Kirk' in the titled related to the the large kirk I was looking at. Later, on the train home, the internet tells me otherwise, it means fort at the head of the hill. It has history from the 1200's, no time to explore today but I will be back. It also was a totally dry town, ie no alcohol, until the 1970's. No place for me then.
Easy walking towpath
Out of town and heading towards Bishopbriggs. The signs have changed from the green canal ones to blue Thomas Muir ones! Really, walking in Scotland can be made easier. 8 miles in so time for my cheese & mango chutney Glasgow roll. The chutney was bought in the Rothiemurchus farm shop and highly recommended by me. Complimented the Orkney cheddar perfectly. Apple as well for the healthy bit and onwards again.
There is not a lot more outer canal highlights until you reach the Possil marsh nature reserve. Typical nothing to be seen apart from a couple of magpies. 
The final couple of miles remind you that you are in a lesser social area of Glasgow. The verges are well littered with empty booze containers. Some guys shouted from the other side, glad there was no easy way for them to get across, the appeared well high on something. Since the Bishopbriggs cut off there had been nobody else walking the path, a little spooky.
Broken tree
One point of interest was this amazing dead tree, split through old age or lightening, I don't know but made me smile.
But finally I made it to Stockingfield junction. After yesterdays climb up Blaeloch hill my feet were feeling it so I decided the walking was over and it was time to get a bus into the centre, relax with a pint and get the train home.
A good day with 14 miles covered in just over 4 hours. Only 2 more sections to go to complete the walk.



No comments:

Post a Comment