Thursday 19 January 2017

Kaim Hill part 1

Fairlie Moor
The incredibly unusual temperate climate for mid January is perfect for getting outdoors early in the season. After last weeks storms and snow the mild air (from the Canaries apparently)  has removed most of the snow, at least down here, so time to get a lung blowing uphill outing.
My original plan was to go to Luss and bag a couple of new Grahams, Beinn Eich & Doune Hill. But, although the forecast was to be mainly dry, it also had some showers with heavy low cloud. If I am going to put this amount of effort in I want the views so parked this for another day. My default local choice was Kaim Hill, a lower hill, but this would be a first for me, so a good alternative, plus only 30 minutes driving. A search of the internet and also some of my guide books and the route option from Fairlie station was chosen.
As forecast the clouds were a deep grey, the wind was stronger than yesterday and dry so far, so geared up off I went. 
A left turn at Fairlie station and heading along a narrow lane to soon follow the sign pointing to the right, directly past the front door of a cottage, and then follow the track, through the wood, up the side of the Fairlie burn. Birds are singing in the bare trees, so springlike. The snow melt has softened the ground so means a very muddy track but also fast running water in the burn, the noise level increased by a multitude of small waterfalls. I have to cross this burn at some point later, no bridge apparently!! After only 10 minutes it is already time to offload the mid layer thin fleece, too warm, and don the gaiters for mud protection. Glad I brought my walking poles as the ground very slippy.
A short way up a modern fence blocks the way to Fairlie castle and diverts you to the nearby path. The castle is now apparently private property and is being renovated, local access disputes ongoing.
Breaking the treeline
Continue uphill and as the trees open up a little to let in the excellent views you are met with 'the moor' sign. I always think that there is a slightly ominous feeling when coming across signs for a moor. For me the connotations of an open moor are akin to Sherlock's case, the Hound of the Baskervilles, wide open poor ground, bad weather, with few people around and lots of danger lurking. Probably very true apart from the hound.
No crossing here Lairdside hill straight ahead
The burn is still roaring noisily away on my right as I break the treeline and I now have sight of the open moorland ahead. There is a path of sorts but there is also a lot of bog, probably it is here the full year round. A stile is crossed and it is worth stopping to stand on the top, look back,  and take in the views of the Forth of Clyde, beautiful. Sadly you cannot ignore the views of Hunterston power station and the coal docks.
Ahead of me are sheep, moorland and the tops of wind pylons. Thankfully I don't go right to these pylons. A buzzard flies by as do two calling ravens. A sheeps skull on a fence reaffirms that not everything survives up here.
My guide says to cross the burn as soon as you can after leaving the trees but deep gullies indicate not yet, keep following the muddy track.

At the signpost for Kelburn wind farm or Kaim there is now an opportunity to cross the burn. Take it and continue uphill following the the line of the fence and a boundary wall. 

Cross here
The wind has strengthened and it has got noticeably colder. Looking back I can see rain showers further north and the Loch Lomond tops are now covered in cloud, so good choice made earlier not to go there.
Looking to Kaim hill from Lairdside hill
I have reached the top of Lairdside hill and its small stone cairn, this is a very remote top. I can see the trig point of Kaim hill on my right but there is no obvious track leading to it. It looks like a descent and ascent of around a mile on really crappy walking, at least so far there was a boggy track. The tops of the wind pylons to my left are being encircled and then released by the encroaching low cloud. It is a bleak landscape and I have seen no other person on the moor, not even a shepherd. I have my compass but decide not to venture further today. If I had company then I probably would have went on, but on a short daylit day, with the cloud coming down, a moor is not the place for a lone walker to get into difficulty.
Wind turbine disappearing
So back down the boggy track I go, in no rush, soaking in the Clyde coast views.
Without anticipating danger, my foot goes straight into a hidden boggy hole, entering well over ankle deep and trapped solid. If I had not been leaning on my walking poles and fallen over, a twisted or broken ankle would have been a real possibility. As it was it took an effort to release my foot from the boggy suction. It rather reinforced my decision to not take the chance. The hill will still be there for a better day. Then, it dawned on me. that I had forgotten to pack fresh socks, wet feet for the drive home, another lesson learned.
Hunterston & coal area Arran beyond
The remainder of the descent was straightforward and ended with a nice chat with the owner of one of the cottages at the station.
Back home, whilst studying Google maps etc,  I indulged in a couple of cans of Drygate's Orinoco breakfast stout, a very fine tasting beer. Next week I will tackle Kaim hill again but this time from the Fairlie moor road side. Here's hoping part 2 will be a success story.
Looking north Argyll & Holy Loch
Despite not meeting the hill objective I did meet the exercise objective and got in some good preparation for the hills on this years planner, flat walking keeps you fit but does not adequately prepare you for the hills. The distance was only 3.33 miles but included 1011 ft of ascent so it gave the lungs and heart an outing. The views were superb at times, I was outdoors, what not to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment