Sunday 24 February 2019

A popular Bishop

On my way up to Perthshire to have another cast or two for spring salmon I took the opportunity to tick off another sub 2k.
The forecast was for low cloud all day but as I approached Scotlandwell the light was bright to the south but the Bishop hill in cloud, which would win?
As per intentions I followed the WH circular route from Scotlandwell.
Portmaoak kirk
Only a couple of cars in the church car park so no funerals today or a small turnout for the deceased 
Crossed the road and followed the footpath sign  for Kinnesswood and Bishop hill. A pleasant wooded area the normal Spring birds singing away, robin, thrush, blackbird etc.
Another one of those days for some reason breathing a bit laboured, legs feeling tired, no drink for ages what is happening to my body, old age I presume.
Low flying
As I exited the woods a noise made me look up as a glider soared above, a buzzard in between us. The airfield can now be seen below. I would have thought the cloud to low but there you go.
Just before I reached the open moorland I met two different people descending, tried to look non sweaty and failed. The lady said it was clearing up top, didn't look it from here. It was a stiff wee pull up.
Open moor Bishop Hill in cloud
On the open moorland plenty of fresh cowpats, as it turned out I followed their pats and churned ground all the way round but never saw them. What I did see was my first skylarks of the year rising out of the gloom in pairs singing away.
Well into cloud now so just following the coo trail and the odd glance at gps to small cairn of Bishop hill. 
Spot the top before the cloud covers it again
A few hill runners around, not fit enough for that and also a few other walkers, surprised I thought I would have this to myself today but no, a popular Bishop indeed.
No hanging about here
No point in lingering at the summit, nae views, so just followed the gps round and started the resent. Came across a flock of sheep but still nae coos.
For 30 seconds a view of Loch Leven

From the odd gap in the clouds the potential of the views can be glimpsed. Sadly it disappeared just as quickly.
This cut off was easy to miss
There are a few cut offs, presumably down steep crags, so glad I had the gps working as I followed the correct route by turning right down right angled path, easy to miss in the clouds, which descended grassy ground in a slight dip to reach the top of some crags.
Steep and slippy
 Turned left here until the path led down a steep gully between the rocks. I descended with care but paused a few times as the views were opening up. Good track but eroded, muddy and slippy, continued down the the grassy path until some utilities building are reached just above the village with a way marker post to guide you. The sound of the kids playing footie in the school below sounds much closer.
Looking back to descent
Turned left onto a path with a fence on your right. This path undulated across the hillside. Ignore a gate on the right to golf course, looks like an up and down golf course a bit tight as well, the coo pats still led the way. Continued along path until it enters Kilmagad Wood via another gate. The path now continues through the woodland until it meets the outward route.
A short walk and glad I stretched the legs.
Needless to say that when I was back on the motorway to Perth, as I passed Bishop Hill the trig was in clear sight, Sod's law.
Robin, black ie, thrush, blue tit, carrion crow, woodpecker, skylark, buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment