Saturday 18 May 2019

Peat bogs and Two Tayside Munros

Hill: Meall Corranaich (a few options but probably Hill of the Bracken Corrie 1069m) and Meall a' Choire Leith (Hill of the Grey Corrie 926m).
Category: Munros
In Ralph Storers book he talks about needing a sense of humour for the final trek from the base of Leith back to the parking. Well I’m afraid towards the end I had a humour bypass. More of that later.

The Ridge from parking area
There is very limited parking above the dam, not helped by a campervan taking almost all the first slot but thanks to the guy who helped me reverse in to my slot.
It was a blue sky day but with a fresh wind, more early than late spring but clear air so view will be special.
The outgoing approach to Corranaich is not much better than the aforementioned exit route. There is a faint wet and boggy path, glad I had put my gaiters on. Nobody can be seen ahead of me so all peace and quite apart from my heart pounding and sweary words when I squelch in another mud hole.

Found the old fence
Once found the fence heads into the peat hags, if that is your pleasure go ahead. But the track skirts round the edge of these before finding the fence again for the first steep section.
Meall Corranaich
The target is in view, looking splendid today. For better or worse just keep the head down, step by step upwards until the fence takes a left turn. 
Track up the fence
A good place to rest and look back at the scenery. I spot some walkers far down  below at the hags.
There are a few patches of snow to either walk through or skirt.
Ben Lawers & Beinn Ghlas come into view
Near the top I deviate from the fence, head eastwards and get rewarded with some better views before the final assault to the top. Cairn reached in 1hour 20min, happy with that.
Lawers Hills from Corranaich
As I reached the flat ground I spot two bobbing heads heading off the top, people how had I missed them? Turned out they had come up the ridge from the dam. Their first Munro. They were heading to Lawers by descending from here and going up An Stuc, good luck to them.
Looking over to Leith
Views are terrific and I enjoy the ridge walk. Across the way Ben Lawers looks fabulous but plenty of stick figures around, a tourist hill indeed today.
Walkhighlands warns about taking the correct ridge route when traversing between the two Munros but in these conditions it was obvious. A couple of figures can be spotted on Leith, the campervanners maybe?

Go right here to leith
A gradual descent and then a short climb and the flat open top of Leith is reached. A super place to take in the 360 degree views whilst having a snack. 
An Stuc dominant from Leith
The dam at Loch na Daimh is striking. Glencoe hills behind. A significant amount of tops all round covered in patches of snow.
Coming off the hill it is one very steep descent down a clear path but glad I wasn’t going up it.
The bog ahead
Then the fun begins. There is a trail, very wide in places as the bog stretches on and on. We have had a massive dry period so god only knows what it would be like after a prolonged wet spell. Trying to stay good humoured I succeeded until a hidden bog took one leg down, well down, right over the gaiter, muddy, soaked and a few curses.
Next almost fell in when crossing the burn, at least it would have cleaned me up a bit.
Caught up with two ladies near the end, the two from the hill but not the camper van owners.
Finally back at the car in good time. A finish too remember, doubt I will be back for a second dose but a worthwhile walk on a day like this.
Now two days of salmon bashing or probably just stacks more frustration.


Wildlife: Wheatear, Golden plover.
Time: 3.42
Ascent: 2471 ft
Distance: 6.45m




No comments:

Post a Comment