Tuesday 8 September 2020

Three Munros but only two get a credit....Meall Greigh & Garbh

 Hills: Meall Greigh (Hill of the herd)(1001); Meall Garbh (Rough Hill) (1118m)

Type: Munros

On the back of my sore tendon I changed my plans for today. I was originally going with a small group to complete a couple of new Munros which had a decent ascent circa 1300m. I decided that I did not want to potentially hinder a walk so opted out and looked for an alternative that would allow me to go at my own pace but backtrack if required.

I have been too long in finishing off the Lawers range so the two remaining fitted perfectly. If I felt good I could complete An Stuc again but my plan was an in and out. This will be a long walk and tendon tester. The Met Office forecast had snow showers during the night on Lawers, wow.

The Lawers hotel had reduced its 'paid' walkers parking slots in favour of al fresco Covid drinking and dining. Think the weather now will change that soon. So next door is the farmers silage parking, same price. It looked full but the farmer was on hand to reverse me in and save me a visit to the honesty box, tax man not seeing a few quid over the season.


The sign is not really required but a nice touch. The walk down to the stag carvers was the sorest but I was confident that the tendon would ease once I started climbing. Initial progress through the woods alongside the bubbling Lawers Burn was very warm and I felt over clad as the sweat dripped off the brow but I knew when I exited the woods the wind would be prominent and so it was.

I had overtaken a couple of people and at the base of the steep climb up the ridge Sron Mhor (big nose) I caught up with a private school party who were hoping to take in the round of six, good luck. 


The final steep slopes to the summit of Meall Greigh.

Passed the kids and caught up with another couple, so much for the gammy leg! The views are superb looking over to The Lawers range with Lochan nan Cat below the corrie. 


Take a breather and enjoy the views back down to the start and over Loch Tay.

There is around 500m of fairly consistent ascent to get to the top of Meall Greigh where the wind is bowing a hooolie and very cold but it is dry. Time to layer up a bit.


Meall Garbh from Greigh's broken cairn. Ben Lawers on the left and the peak of An Stuc in the middle.

Then there is a 2km descent of about 200 metres, terrain now extremely boggy, very muddy boots. There is a fence of sorts to follow up to Meall Garbh a fine bad weather aid. 

A closer view of the slopes of Meall Garbh. More walkers to overtake whats going on!

The ascent lasted about 1k but is steep, almost 300m of ascent to reach today's highest point, exactly the same height as An Stuc. About half way up a full on storm arrived, heavy rain, very high gusting winds and the temperature dropped considerably. 3 hours from the start which I was happy with. 

Yet another top with no views of An Stuc, it has been a bogey weather hill for me.

However, no view so no hanging about and no An Stuc, I headed downhill to retrace my steps even though it meant another ascent of Meall Greigh. It counts as a Munro from this side but as I bagged it earlier in the day, no new tick. 

The route heading back to Meall Greigh.

At least the gradient is kinder if not the bog hopping, gloopy stuff. I pass the kids, still cheerful but not even on number two, I cannot see them doing six.

Looking back the storm has gone and everyone now ascending will have the views that I did not, no envy here. Back on top of Greigh and excellent views over Loch Tay, Glen Lyon and on to deepest Perthshire.

Back at Meall Greigh the eastern view over Loch Tay and Perthshire. 

Now simply retracing my out route, at times I felt as if I was practically running on the descent but still care required great heel slip conditions. Back on the tarmac and tendon now fully sore again, weird. There are many ruined shielings around, a reminder that this was a well populated area mainly flax spinning. 

The swallows grouped on the wires made me smile and a bit sad, no doubt on there way to warmer climes, lucky them.

Finally a look at the carvers impressive collection of horns waiting to be transformed into walking pole handles etc.

An excellent walk in mainly dry conditions. The ascent was up there with my aborted trip in terms of distance and ascent but I was doing this at my own pace which made a difference. 

Now the bagging map moves on with another couple of Munro weeks and then I need to concentrate on the other categories.

Wildlife: Raven; Crow; Meadow Pipit; Wheatear; Swallow.

Ascent: 1367m 

Distance: 16.9km 

Time: 5.45





No comments:

Post a Comment