Tuesday 29 September 2020

No moans from the good lady on Mona Gowan

Hill: Mona Gowan (Good Moor or High Moss)

Type: Graham

Height: 749m

An outrider of the Cairngorms it is the highest point between the rivers Don and Gairn. It is also known as the 'hill of the adders' but I doubt we will see any this late in the year. Another hill chosen for great views for minimum effort, yip the good lady is being dragged up another one.

A short drive through stunning countryside to the start. I had not mapped the route as with the good lady in tow I was not going cross country but following an estate track all the way up. A good plan if I had not taken the wrong track to start the walk. Thankfully I soon realised it was turning away from where I wanted to be but a disgruntled good lady had already climbed a bit not happy to descend and start again.

The correct track
A couple of hundred meters up the road I found the right track. I did not have a map for this walk just took some notes from a previous report which I had left in the car.

Not sure what kind but different
Initial section goes between planted pines with next to no wildlife to look out for. Plenty of fungi, I liked this strange form. However some of the pines appear to be diseased not good news.

Weird clouds
Finally out on the moor where the wind hit us and the clouds were threatening, the trees had nicely sheltered us. Forecast was for a couple of hours of heavy rain but I hoped to be up and down by then.

Just keep following the track
Stepped up the pace just in case the downpour started early.

Raven trap
We come across an odd structure which I believe is a raven trap where a live bird is contained and when others come into the enclosure they are trapped. read about them but never seen one on an estate before. Also did not see or hear any ravens today, that is a first on a walk for a long time.

brave shooters hide behind these
I thought all the red grouse had been massacred from the many gun butts but there were plenty around on the higher slopes.

Track meandering for easier gradient
At the steepest section the track zig zags making the ascent easier which the good lady was pleased about.

Finally as the weather threatens to soak us the top is spotted. The top cannot be missed as there is a huge cairn which was put together to commemorate Queen Vics golden jubilee. Quite a few of these huge cairns around these hills I wonder if the estate owners were all trying to outdo each other and gain Royal favour?

Memorial cairn with Morvern behind
The northern hills are greyed out but there are views across to the Corbett Morvern, which some walkers include with this round.

Looking North and East it is still bright. Amongst other prominent tops I spot Ben Rinnes, Meikle and Little Conval as well as Bennachie. 

We descended the same way with the heavy rain just missing us but a strong tail wind sped us back rapido. Excellent views across Strathdon to keep the interest up. A small flock of a dozen or so golden plovers sweep past.

Happy we did it but as the good lady is hobbling I reckon I might get a free hill walk tomorrow morning. 

Wildlife: Black Grouse; Red Grouse; Golden Plover; Long Tailed Tit; Buzzard

Ascent: 500m

Distance: 12.5km

Time: 2.50

No comments:

Post a Comment