Friday 24 June 2022

Up there with the best 360 degree view I have had.....Breabag

 Hill: Breabag (Little Height)

Type: Corbett

Height: 815m

I had put this hill for ages as I thought it would be a horrible scree sloped ascent. I could not have been more wrong. A last minute decision turned out to be a really enjoyable ramble.

I had another ascent planned for the day but as I had been wakening so early each morning I did not bother setting an alarm. You guessed it, awoke and looked at my watch 8.30am, wow. So by the time I got ready a shorter day was required.

Plenty of water from small stream
Parked up at the Bone Caves, only a few cars around. Beautiful morning so emptied as much waterproof gear from my rucksack and set off.

This vibrant scene is only feet away from the dry river bed

Usually find a Small Heath on this path
The burn was in full flow, I really like this section up to where the burn disappears higher up. Realisation that it is created not higher up from the mountains but from bubbling limestone springs underneath, fascinates me every time.

First dry bed

2nd gully
As the path turns for the higher bone caves track I headed left alongside the dry burn for a short section before a sharp right up another dry burn gully. Going was better than expected.

Follow this, crossing from bank to bank as suits, until the moor is reached. Mainly heather but grassy swathes can be found to ease the going.

My route headed for the waterfall which lies beneath the break in the hills, a small gorge/fissure which you climb through. The scree slopes surrounding gave negative thoughts of the possible hard work ahead.

Not true. Another plateau is reached where there are more grassy sections than expected so the scree can be avoided for now.


I spotted quite a few deer on the ridge, they had also spotted me and were looking right at me. As I headed to the rocky summit there were small pockets of deer everywhere. They were all hinds with their calves and most stand their ground before moving. I have never seen so many deer spread over a plateau but staying apart. Plus, I have never got so close to wild deer on the tops , it was fabulous.

Cul Beag & Mor, Suilven, Canisp

Panorama

Suilven & Canisp
An easy rocky climb to the summit. And the views were out of this world. I have had great views in Assynt but nothing to beat this, it was spectacular. Every Assynt stack in perfect view. The Western Isles clear. The views are open to the Fannichs and up to the Sutherland mountains. 

Lunch companions heading off when I moved
I ate my lunch listening to deer so close I could hear them chewing and lightly coughing. This was absolute magic, so tranquil, the only noises are natural ones and then the midges started biting.

Conival & Ben More Assynt
I wandered over the scree with deer all around to have a look at the Coirean Ban, spectacular drops and views to Conival.

Top of fissure heading back
As I headed back to find the gorge and my descent an eagle appeared in the distance. Luckily I had my mini binoculars and as it turned the white pathcesv underneath and the pure white tail made my day. It never came really close but so what.

Bone Caves in big lump above grassy slopes

Back down the same way, it got very hot lower down.

All in all a special day on a runt of a hill that turned out to be one of the best.

Ascent: 707m

Distance: 10.6km

Time: 4.36

Wildlife: Red Deer; Small Heath butterfly; Meadow Pipit; Golden Plover; White Tailed Eagle.




No comments:

Post a Comment