Wednesday 13 September 2023

My final red Fiona.....Creag Ruadh (Laggan)

Hill: Creag Ruadh (Laggan) (Red Cliff)

Type: Fiona

Height: 622m

I had this short ‘straightforward’ ramble provisionally planned for an off season late autumn/winter/spring walk but as I was in the area I decided to bag it. The weather had been awful, more monsoon than flaming summer and the prediction for the next fortnight was similar. After an inactive period an internal pep talk about positive thinking was required, in particular how sitting in the house gets you nowhere.


Following that I pep talk I got out and drove north, surprisingly dry, and found myself at the start of the walk, the farmstead of Sherrabeg, beside Laggan reservoir. There is no obvious parking but a wide grassy off road section was ample. Of course light rain arrived as I changed.

I had read reports that there was an ATV track to initially follow, which to be fair is around in parts but lets just say that it has been many a year since an ATV has been up here.

A fast running brown water burn with small waterfalls reinforced the level of rain that has fallen recently. 

ATV track, nope

Definitely no track, this is why it should not be a summer walk
Through a kissing gate which didn't really want to open, and then there is a faint track but my fears over a summer walk were quickly realised. The section between this kissing gate and the next was unpleasant to say the least. One report says it’ was mostly soggy and boggy in some places’ how about everywhere! 

I headed into the normal woodland growth and then the bracken appeared. This was literally head high and dense. Pushing through hoping I was on track was the only option, apart from turning back which did cross my mind. The day was so humid I was sweating profusely and the flies had noticed. Oh, I forgot to that the rain had begun to belt down so rain gear donned and internal temperature too high.

From this kissing gate the ‘track’ was just wet, every footstep was into water. The fence was on one side and many fallen trees led to a few different route choices.

Happy to get out of the forest section, turn right at end of tree line
Onto open terrain I left the deer fence and took a more direct line to a ridge top but you could follow the fence if wanted.

There was a faint track which had become a water course so walking to the side was easier but more through deep heather which was like walking through snow. Also I had not been feeling too great recently and my chest was not working in conjunction with the rest of my body. Some sort of infection was confirmed when I was snorting out thick green phlegm, disgusting I know but that was the reality. I was stopping far too often and again the flies did not miss this.

It did not help that I was following this false track as when I reached the high point I moved over to the deer fence and realised I had missed the section where other reviewers had crossed. So cursing I backtracked downhill until I found some loose wires which allowed me to cross over.

Peat hags but avoidable

Trig in sight and heather flowering adds some colour
Once again climbed up to the ridge where I came across a cairn from which I could see a trig in the distance. The terrain is boggy peat hag stuff so I headed for an old fence which followed the higher ground to the trig.

Threatening skies

Brighter for now over to Creag Megaidh hills

Loch Laggan and the sandy beach from Monarch of the Glen

Darker over the Alder Munros
A good viewpoint even in these conditions. The best view today is over Loch Laggan with the white sands just in view. Familiar if you were into the Monarch of the Glen. Creag Meagaidh massif is under cloud and a lot more is around.

Loch na Lairge
My original plan was to make a circuit out of this ramble via Black Craig and the hill fort but with the weather and my poorer health I decided otherwise.

1st wild fungi of year, fairy ring mushroom I think

Relieved to get closer to the finish but bracken forest ahead
The number of flies had multiplied when I entered the humid wooded area. So much so that I was fully hooded and masked, far too warm but better than fly attacks. The bracken seemed worse than the ascent, how quickly can it grow?

So overall a straightforward ramble became far more energetic than it should have been but the views were good so worthwhile. As well as completing the 3 Creag Ruadh Fionas.

Ascent: 393m

Distance: 5.6km

Time: 2.20

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Ringlet butterfly;


No comments:

Post a Comment