Sunday 13 October 2024

A cold and muddy ramble.....Gael Charn (Monadhliath)

Hill: Geal Charn (Monadhliath) (White Hill)

Type: Munro

Height: 925



The big question is 'how do you tell when it is summer in Scotland'? Going by this year that is a very hard one to answer.

I had missed out on bagging this hill a few times but today was the opportunity to rectify that. The drive from Laggan to Garva Bridge has to be one of my favourites.



The water levels on the Spey, as viewed from General Wades bridge, looked on the low side considering the amount of rain that we have had. I know that the nearby Spey dam regulates water flow so looking at these levels I assume it is in this direction.

Arriving at the parking area it is empty. On previous occasions it has been full of campervans as well as walkers cars. This is ‘summer’, the schools are on holiday, it is one of the easier Munros, the forecast is okay, very surprised.

Everyone who has read a report on this hill will know it is a mudfest and after the recent rains it did not disappoint.


Path would get a lot muddier

This will be a fairly short report as not a lot happened on this ramble. It is a very straightforward walk along a distinct trail, it is a Munro after all. Very boggy as I followed it alongside the burn before making a detour. At one point I lost the track but knew it was not far away. Found it just before I had to cross it. The only distraction was a small group of four stags, not at all bothered with me.




Luckily, despite the recent rain, it was a straightforward burn crossing unlike recent stressful ones.

I had been feeling a bit chesty on the early stages but thankfully I was breathing okay as I started the final climb to the plateau. The wind was much stronger and colder, so much so that I had to put on a winter hat, unreal.



Although not a difficult section this seemed a long slow slog interrupted by a Ptarmigan who like the stags seemed not at all bothered by me. But they never do I love them.

Once I reached the plateau the weather was full on. The wind had increased but the telling factor was the temperature, I reckon the feel like wind effect was sub zero, at least my hands were telling me that was so.



The huge cairn appeared on the horizon, not the nicest walking across the boulders and I was happy to get there.

Hiding from the winds I took in the views which were monochrome but with the cold air the distance that could be seen was extensive and far further than should be the case for this time of year.


Ben Nevis in distance

Ben Alder range

The nearest hills were obviously Alder hills, Creag Meadaidh and onwards to Ben Nevis. But looking south I was sure I was looking at the Killin hills and SW the Glencoe mountains. Along with the Cairngorms to the north quite a viewpoint. But is was so cold I was not hanging about.


Creag Meadaidh & Laggan hills beyond

Track back to the parking area

On the descent I met a family who were the only other walkers on the hill today, as said earlier very strange for this time of the year.

About half an hour out the wind died and the temperatures soared. Of course I cursed that I was over dressed, zips opened, but it literally only lasted 15 minutes before it was windy and cold again, unreal.

Overall it was a good ramble. Despite my chestiness I was surprised to see that I had made such good time. Maybe one day it will be summer gear to enjoy.

Ascent: 651m

Distance: 13.4km

Time: 4.22

Wildlife: Ptarmigan; Meadow Pipit; Red Deer; Mountain Hare;

No comments:

Post a Comment