Tuesday 1 October 2024

The direct route to.....Taberon Law

Hill: Taberon Law

Type: Donald Top

Height: 636m



Back to the Manor Hills today for the Donald Top of Taberon Law. This hill could be included as part of the Pykestone/Drumelzier circuit but it adds on almost 2 hours and 300m of ascent. The quickest route on the map was from the south but that was probably a steep heather/bracken climb. However, although it is not shown on the 1:50 OS map, I had spotted on my 1:25 map that an ATV track seemed to rise from the valley to the summit. Google maps also showed a faint line, not sure what state it would be in but this was worth a punt.

Cars are not allowed into the private road so I parked at a lay-by about 300m north. Walking back to the entrance to Stanhope Farm was the most dangerous part, a windy country road, fast traffic, minimal verge to get onto, good luck.


Stanhope farm

Stanhope burn

My next concern was that from the map it looked like I would have to walk through the farm buildings, was this going to be okay with the owners? It was a pleasant walk to the farm but no sign of activity, human or animal. There was also a sign directing walkers so all good.

Through a short section of trees to the edge of the valley. I could hear a bird that I was not familiar with. The app said it was a Spotted Flycatcher but although it kept singing it was high up in the canopy and I never saw it.


Into the unknown

Next concern was what livestock was going to be around. I did see some cow droppings but luckily it was just sheep all the way.

This track goes to Dollar Law and along the way joins up with the Thief’s Road for those wanting a long walk through to the Meggat reservoir.

It really was pleasant ramble at this stage. Hemmed in by green bracken and purple heather, the only sound the wildlife and the sounds of the Stanhope burn, the peace and tranquillity was just what I wanted out of this ramble. 4 Peewits flew across, only seen these a couple of times this year, sadly rare birds now.

Taberon Law

All these beehives but didn't see a single bee. I suspect the noise and sight on a summers evening would be interesting

Then Taberon Law came into view and I could see a scar up top, looked like my hunch was correct.


Larsen trap

The lower section was an unsightly section carved out of the rocks, a few twists and turns and I reached a green section where a Corvid/Rapture trap (sometimes known as a Larsen trap), was hidden away from walkers on the main track. Checked it out and it did have a registration tag on it. It was unused at present but not a corvid or raptor was seen on my ramble today.

Of course this estates main income will be grouse shooting. The hills were lined with many gun butts in case there was any doubt.

After this it was a proper ATV track, obviously for the shooters and not walkers hence not shown on the bigger map. Being a hypocrite I used it anyway.



It was a case of head down and keep plodding upwards. It reminded me of the direct assault on Culter Fell. I sprung a few grouse, maybe only half a dozen in total, possibly the rest shot on the inglorious 12th.

No difficulty apart from a few slips on the boggy sections churned up by the ATV’s. Sadly the weather had once again changed with a strong breeze, much colder than yesterday.


Looking east over to Drumelzier

View south to Broad Law

A small stone marked the summit. On a better day the views would be quite extensive but no so today.



Craig Head looks like ATV track continues over it

Jacket on as the first of a few showers hit me. I had intended to walk the ridge along to Craig Head and descend from there back to Stanhope. But I was too cold for that. 


The descent

Just one line of gun butts

A quick descent back to the less exposed valley. No need to rush, taking in the views and the many gun butts.



I spotted quite a few of these traps, another example of this just being a wildlife killing estate. Small satisfaction as I triggered this trap. Out of use until it is reset.


Two of the Peewits

Spent some time watching the Peewits watching me. Nice, as I said a rare sight so worth spending a few minutes with them. Also as I walked back I was intrigued by the huge cairn on the other side of the road, Worm Hill, I need to look it up.

Overall a short but worthwhile ramble and glad my hunch paid off.

Ascent: 452m

Distance: 9.51km

Time: 2.46

Wildlife: Peewit; Meadow Pipit; Rabbit; Spotted Flycatcher (h); Chaffinch; Blackbird; Red Grouse; Pheasant; Wood Pigeon

No comments:

Post a Comment