Sunday, 20 September 2026

Where did the sun go? A damp ramble.....Carn na Coinnich

Hill: Carn na Coinnich (Hill of the moss)

Type: Fiona

Height: 673m



It’s Scotland so the recent spell of a few days of good weather was due to end and today was that day.

Back into beautiful Strathconon hoping not to meet any timber lorries on this very narrow at times single track as I drove to the start. Success.

Burn fairly dry but still a scenic spot

I made an early start hoping to miss the start of the rain but just as I closed my boot I felt and heard the first raindrops, just my luck.

Within minutes of the start I had my highlight of the day. A Merlin was chasing a Meadow Pipit, high speed manoeuvres. They disappeared into a copse so I know not the outcome. But for me it was my first sighting of a Merlin for years so a cracking start.

Out of Jubilee Wood into the smir

I reached Jubilee wood where my track continued through and beyond to meet up with the other alternative starting point at Dalbreac. I nearly visited on the descent more of this later.


Just before joining the main track I surprised a solo stag sporting its velvet clad antlers. I reckon from its size that it was a youngster.

The forecast said showers but this was proper rain and it continued falling almost all the way to the top. More surprising was the strength of the wind which was in my face, the joys.

There is an option for the young and/or fit to go straight up the side of Creag Ghaineamhach and do an undulating ridge walk. As I am neither and with the weather being yuk I opted for the long plod up the estate track. With hindsight it could have been a bike/hike.

On the estate track heading for the low point on the left

At least due to the distance the gradient was in my favour apart from one short but steep section. These stony estate tracks are sore on the feet but with the rubbish terrain either side it had to be stuck with. Some reports mentioned awkward burn crossings but these were not an issue today.

On a regular basis I spotted small herds of red deer, I wish I could cover the terrain as easily as them.

One report mentioned cutting off at an ATV track and following this across the moor. Even with the rain and my head more down than up I managed to avoid walking past, a good spot as easy to miss.


It turned out to be a good move even though it was very boggy in places. The track amazingly also disappeared at times. How can a heavy vehicles tracks that churns up the soft ground disappear, no idea but it happened. On the track I clearly walked close to a Golden Plovers nest as both birds were alarm calling and diving close but never that close.

The last post with the top in sight

Onwards and upwards on the muddy track at times heading for the wooden marker stakes as well as following the tracks when obvious.

It flattened out where I spotted what I thought was a trig but I also thought that it seemed too close.

As it turned out it was indeed the top and I had even more fortune as the ATV track went all the way to the top. Great as the surrounding moor was not that pleasant. I was so glad I did not go the ridge route as it would have meant a long hike across very poor terrain.

View from summit looking towards the Orrin reservoir

Despite the low clouds and grey skies the views were atmospheric enough to have been worth the effort.

The SMC book suggests completing Meall nan Damh as well but it has subsequently been ratified that Coinnich is the true Fiona and the OS map has Damh at 2 metres lower. So with the poor weather and the terrain I passed on that opportunity to extend my ramble.

Looking back Loch Gruamach and Loch an Daimh Ghlais. Ideal for wild swimming if your into that sort of thing.

Zoomed in to the Strathconon Corbetts

Suddenly the wind ramped up considerably so time to head back. It was really strong and glad it was mainly back to side so easier going. On the descent I was missing the ATV track much more than the ascent, properly relying on heading for those wooden markers to get back on track.

Pleasant view back into Strathconon

Back on the track it was sheltered so I was in no hurry, content to stop and take in the views, try and name those hills in view etc. Hood up and down heavy showers at times.

Meadow Pipit

Strathconon Corbetts maybe later in the year

I was so engrossed in the wildlife and the surrounding hills that when I spotted a roof top not that far away I pulled up. I had walked past my turn off. I could have continued to the village and road walked back but it was easier and safer to backtrack.

Jubilee Wood

I was soon looking down onto Jubilee Wood. It was in a sorry state and if it was planted for the Jubilee it has not fared we. A cuckoo called from the outskirts, not the first heard today but I could not spot it.

Finally back to the car as the wind blew even stronger wow where has this weather front come from.

Despite the weather it was an enjoyable ramble but the sighting of the Merlin made my day.

Ascent: 635m

Distance: 12.5km

Time: 4.15

Wildlife: Merlin; Red Deer; Meadow Pipit; Golden Plover; Cuckoo; Yellowhammer;

No comments:

Post a Comment