Friday 2 February 2018

A glorious day to walk up Beneraird

In Pete’s report (Walkhighlands) he had not expected coach loads to follow on and in my case he was right, just me and not another person did I meet until I was almost finished and he was a cottage owner, not a walker.
Pete approached it from the same direction I was planning with the only difference being I started from Ballantrae. It was a glorious day and I was in no hurry so the longer walk suited, adding almost 4 mile to the trip. It also meant doing the hill from sea level so getting the full height workout.
For anyone doing this I turned at the attractive parish church and a couple of hundred yards down towards the sea a car park and a sign for toilets.

Castle and war memorial
Back up to main road, turn right and enjoy the view of the Old Bridge over the River Stinchar. There is a history board just before the bridge, on your left covering the castle, the bridge and the war memorial, worth a read.
Then you have a couple of hundred yards of walking the busy A77, but the grass verge is roomy, just take care, before long you reach the 2nd turn off after the bridge, with a ‘Stinchar trail’ sign.

Cannot get lost
As I wandered up the track wildlife abounded, almost everything I saw was on the first lower half of the walk. Pheasants burst out of the hedge giving me a big start. A large mixed flock of tits/chaffinch etc were engaging. Then as I was looking at Knockdolian I spotted 5 deer hinds in the trees, they had obviously spotted me as well. But it was their size, big, they looked like 5 red deer hinds not the normal roe deer. I was not aware of reds being here but someone reading this might know better.
Look like red deer hinds to me



You can’t really get lost just follow the road until it becomes the track and climb the gates as appropriate. Plenty of pheasant feeders around must be a big shoot here.
One thing that surprised me is the gradient. It is a gentle but continuous incline from start to finish and really has know level sections, very unusual but nice walking.
When I climbed over the gate bordering the moorland section I spotted the red back of a fox wandering away from me through the marsh clumps of grass. Never saw it again but a few minutes later loud agitated pheasant calling from the woodland edge, a warning or prey?

Muddy track
Plenty of sheep around but no moos. Some sharp calling nearby and a pair of buzzards are hunting the grass, targeting voles and mice I presume.
Looking back even muddier track
The path is now a mix of wet slippery grass and outright bog. Gaiters advised as I went ankle deep a few times. The sun is strong and it feels like a warm spring day and I am dressed for winter. Hat and gloves long since in bag and most zips opened, still sweating.
Abandoned or left for another day
Twisting and turning with the path I take the left fork and go through the really boggy section and before long I spot the abandoned farm machine. Not sure if it just waiting for another day.
Thin kissing gate trig up right
Soon after the trig comes in sight. But first the very narrow kissing gate and a short trek across the spongy wet moor to the trig. 1 hour 44min from the car park.
Looking west from trig
The views don’t disappoint if you can ignore the many wind turbines. Like Pete’s review there is a haze so although I can see the Solway, Lake District mountains are hidden from view. Good views across the snow covered Galloway hills, Knockdolian & its twin Ailsa Craig. Arran just in view through the haze. A ferry from Cairn Ryan heading to Ireland.
Ailsa Craig and its twin volcanic plug Knockdolian
Some food and a relaxing stroll back down taking it all in. A lovely little sub 2000 hill with excellent views, glad I was here today. A wonderful feeling of isolation in a remote location, feels very good.
Time: 3.43
Distance: 16.25k (10.10m)
Ascent: 1503ft (458m)


No comments:

Post a Comment