Wednesday 21 February 2018

Find the cairn on Woodhead Hill, good luck

My afternoon walk was Woodhead Hill and from reading previous reports it was a toss up from being an awful ascent to relatively straightforward. After my experience I will go with the latter and it could have been even easier, read on.
As always getting started is the hardest bit, as per OS 84, I put Lochanhead into sat nav but it stopped me about half a mile short. I knew it didn’t look the right place, map out and on I went to park on the main road beside a cottage at a road turning signposted to Lochfoot. Narrow parking and busy road so take care.
Crossed road and walked to Woodhead Farm, follow track left to white house and turn right on forest road here. Signs up saying no cars beyond this point, indeed no entry without authorisation.

Straight on
I passed the Xmas tree decorations from a previous report but I was in no hurry so I kept on the track and it is a short enough walk anyway.
Left turn
At next junction keep left and before long an MTB track appears on your left.
Left again
From the map I expected another forest road but nope just a dirt track.
Walking back on yourself but still climbing I came to a deforested zone and tree gap around 200m up. Checked GPS, yes, summit up there somewhere so a scramble through and around deforested are was undertaken.
BUT, and this is a very big but, continue along the track for circa 200 metres and an ad hoc MTB descent trail will meander you all the way to the top. The joys you find on descents!!




After scrambling through stumps etc for a short while I was about to check GPS when I spotted an MTB rider up top taking snaps of me climbing. He hung around and we had a chat about the MTB trails particularly the aforementioned one which I joined about 10 metres from the top (walk in another 10 paces you will see cairn). 54 minutes from car to top.
Mini cairn on tree
We talked about the mini cairn of which he was unfamiliar and both looked around the devastated landscape for a minute or so. He decided to head down and just then I spotted this mini cairn. Shouted but he had gone. If I had not seen a snap in a previous post I doubt I would have found it either.
Criffel I think
Some ok views but not really a place to hang about so followed the ad hoc MTB trail down to the track and then leisurely retraced my steps.
Footie fan heron
Actually a very straightforward walk for those following this report. Even liked this football supporting heron, made my day. Don't think those are QoS colours though.
Ascent: 565 ft
Distance: 3.74
Time: 1.40

No comments:

Post a Comment