Friday 1 November 2019

A forestry walk up to cheese hill

Hill: Sgiath a’ Chaise (wing shaped hill of the cheese)
Category: Graham
Height: 645m
On my way back from a trip I stopped off at Strathyre my base for tonight and decided to stretch the legs before tomorrows walk. It was now noon and into the short winter days period. I had considered this hill as a joint outing with Ben Each but I was wary of finishing before darkness tonight so opted for this effort taking the easy forest route from Strathyre.
I plotted a quick route through the forest trails on my OS map app but I could see from down here that sections had been deforested. I reviewed Google earth whose last images were dated 2017 and only showed a few obvious tracks. I altered my route based on this and for once made a smart move as a lot of the tracks on OS no longer exist because of the forestry operations.
I knew I would be making a large S shaped walking route through the trees, not exciting but exercise.
Rob Roy Way Cheese hill in view
Surprisingly the blue sky had disappeared en route and it was now very low cloud which at times was dusting the tops with snow as they passed over at a snails pace.
The walk began at Strathyre by initially following the Rob Roy trail through the woods until I met one of the forestry tracks.
Turned right and started my S route but avoid taking any cut offs. To be fair most of these turns had red no entry ahead signs and before long so did mine. Ten seconds of thinking time, ignored it and I plodded on.
Evasive action required
The good gradient made for easy walking but before long I could hear the noises of timber operations. Shortly after turning back on the long middle section I came across a truck loading trees so being adventurous I ducked off the path into the forest, gloopy and muddy, before back onto the track after bypassing the lorry. Cannot turn me back if they didn’t see me.
Summit up behind the mast
From here the scenery opened up as I was on the long middle section of the S. I reached the 1st mast and followed the route round to complete the S as it headed upwards to the 2nd mast. The top in sight.
Gate to climb
Just before this mast I spotted a gate in the deer fence, locked of course, so a climb over an onto the moor and then headed up to the ridge where I met a dilapidated iron fence line. I followed this to the high point, marked by a single iron post, typical Graham top.
Ben Each & Glen Ample
Looking across the top of Ben Each is hidden in cloud but far below Glen Ample looks attractive. I can see the track heading to Loch Earn It looks quite a steep pull from down there to get up here glad I did not combine both, there will be enough like that tomorrow.
Far away is that The Cobbler from an unusual angle?
Anyway still good views and what is that sharp point far away to the west, The Cobbler I think.
Beinn an-t Sidhein in foreground Stob a' Choin snow topped
Up here it is a very cold wind so back to the fence to shelter for a snack. Lots of deer poo around but no creatures up here.
I climbed the large fence but on the descent one section gave way and then the next one down, so a quick jump off, reminder need to lose weight.
I simply followed the route back, no obvious descent through the deforestation and I did not want to risk injury on my own.
Tomorrow's hill under cloud
Stumbled across two roe deer who bolt straight into the trees. Bright white bums shine in the gloom. I wonder why such excellently camouflaged animals have such conspicuous rear ends?
Strathyre with Ben Vane behind in low cloud
Excellent views looking down on Strathyre village and the surrounding hills, autumn colours and white tops.
Again met the working vehicle, lights blazing, who luckily for me moved just as I arrived saving another off route mud bath.
Back at Strathyre safely just as the light is fading. Not one I will be back on but exercise and fresh air on a crisp day. Time to check in and rest, tomorrow will be a lot more strenuous .

Wildlife: Roe deer, jay (pair), blue tit, red grouse, flock of fieldfare.
Time: 3.37
Ascent: 598m
Distance: 16.1km

No comments:

Post a Comment