Friday 3 July 2020

Last of my Culter Donalds, Chapelgill Hill, with Culter Fell thrown in for exercise

Hill: Chapelgill Hill & Culter Fell
Category: Donald & Graham/Donald
Height: 696m & 748m

A quick return to Culter Allers Farm to complete my Donalds in this range.
Parked up at the same slot for my Hudderstone route but heading the other side, I hope the crowds mentioned in that blog not around today.
There are two options to climb Chapelgill and initially I was going to come up via Glenkirk on the other side. But I had used this on my first climb of Culter Fell so opted for a totally new experience.
Once again I started from Culter Allers Farm, this time the only car in the parking space. I was early but wanted to avoid the predicted very hot temperatures later on.
Up this track, Culter Fell on right.
Going past the large farmhouse there was more farming activity, dogs barking but never seen them.
A short walk up the reservoir road before heading upwards along the flanks of the tree line. A short steep section had me blowing away, don't seem to be getting much fitter! The patchwork heather flanks of Culter Fell in view but I would not see my objective for some time.
Follow the ATV track round and up to the fence-lines meet. 
Follow fence to the top of grouse moor
There is a slightly shorter track across the heather but I was in no rush. Although managed for the red grouse I did not see or hear any today.
Another fence to follow again Culter Fell ahead
Another short but steep section over Tippet Knowe before reaching the peat hags. I walked round these to the fence and then followed it up and over Kingsbank Head. There are a lot of peat hags which could be very muddy walking under other weather circumstances. But today I jumped about like a young lamb and missed most of them.
over the moor and hags, first views of Chapelgill ahead
You can also take in the Donald top of Cardon Hill but I sloped round with the ATV track and headed up the ridge to Chapelgill Hill and its two small cairns, one on each side of the fence. Curlews calling and diving must be nests close by. As predicted the wind had really picked up so light jacket thrown on.
Chapelgill cairn looking to the Pentlands
The views were excellent particularly looking east to the Pentland Hills and back to Tinto as well as the local Culters.
Gathersnow behind Culter
It took just 90 minutes walking to the top so after an energy boost from a banana I reversed my route back through the hags and decided to throw in Culter Fell which is the highest point of the Culter hills.
Loved the sky trails above Culter Fell
Stayed this side of the fence, an easy walk to the trig, with a few pauses to take in the views of course.
As befits the highest hill in the range the views continued to impress and you can see the four other Culter Donalds as well as the three Donald tops from here. The masts on the Corbett Broad Law can just be seen through the heat haze.
Culter Fell trig looking to Chapelgill & Pentland hills
A delightful stroll back down taking in the spectacular green rolling hills and all the lumps and bumps around. It was really hot now so glad I was not going up.
The sky had been amazing today, constantly changing and the westward clouds bubbling up. Driving home I soon entered solid cloud, turn around please!
The only noises for the majority of the walk were the birdsong and the sheep, nature at its best, peaceful and relaxing.
Descent with Tinto beyond
Some movement made me look over to my left and I could see three different groups slowing heading up the steep slopes of the Fell Shin track heading to Culter Fell.
Back trough the trees and around a dozen cars parked up so still popular but I avoided everyone yet again.
Back at the car and it was so warm my chocolate bar had melted in its wrapper in the rucksack. That was the only bad point about this excellent walk on a beautiful summers day like this.

PS: If this is too easy you could always try running it!! Chapelgill Hill Race, took place on 14Mar this year.
‘The route must pack in the most amount of climbing for any race so short. A relentlessly steep climb followed immediately by a thigh-burning descent’. Winning time 23.08minutes. Wow.

Wildlife: Kestrel; Buzzard; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Curlew; Oystercatcher.
Time: 3.44
Ascent: 774m
Distance: 13.1k

No comments:

Post a Comment