Monday 5 April 2021

Mullwharchar....the most remote hill in South West Scotland and at times it felt like it.

Hill: Mulwharchar (Hill of the Lapwing)

Type: Graham/Donald

Height: 692m

As I drove along Loch Doon at just after 7am, temperature showing -2deg, I was amazed at how many people had stayed here overnight. If I said 50 tents I think I would be underestimating. Yesterday afternoon the traffic was the busiest since the first lockdown, I guess people have just had enough, me included.

Sunrise over Loch Doon
The fog was down but it was a stunning morning. I suspect most of the tent occupants missed this, too blinking cold to get out of a sleeping bag. 

My first view of the Dungeon range.
Mullwharchar is certainly the most remote hill in SW Scotland and as you look down from Hoodens and look at the landscape below you can understand why. Because of its remoteness it was considered an ideal place to bury nuclear waste, thankfully that was rejected.

The Wolf Stock
It was cold enough when I started walking to have my hood up. I knew the initial stage was a walk along a hard packed forest construction track but surprised myself by doing it in an hour to the bridge over Gala Lane. Sore on the feet.

Gala Lane bridge with Mullwharchar & Hoodens
The next section was  certainly not sore on the feet, 20 minutes of bog, tussocks, water etc. I followed a track of sorts but it did the job and got me to the flanks of Hoodens Hill. 

Indeed I was looking at the intriguing named crags 'The Wolf Slock'. My short ascent full of tussocky ground avoided these and I saw no wolves.

Huge boulder precariously balanced
Up top I found a faint track which disappeared as much as I followed it. Hoodens hill was a tough little hill. Much longer than it appears, awkward walking and many false tops. Was it only 9.30am?

The sky was blue and it was warming up. My burning neck led to sun cream being applied, 1st week in April and snow next week wow. There are more crags off to the left 'Yellow Tomach' great name but what does it mean?

Typical slabs that aided walking
After what seemed like an age I reached the long plateau called Hoodens Hill. A mix of tussocks, stone slabs and the odd track kept me plodding along. A small cairn but this did not look like the highest point.

Mullwharchar left, Hoodens middle and Merrick right
Previous walkers have created small cairns all over the place although not sure how helpful they are.

M & M from Hoodens
Looking ahead I see Mulwharchar and then the descent down to the two lochans which I want to split. Its only a descent of just under 100m and the stone slabs aid progress. Plenty of small red/brown lizards or newts near the lochans. Far too quick appearing and disappearing to get a snap.

Harder walking to Mullwharchar
The 200m plus ascent of Mullwharchar is a case of using more of the slabs to aid progress, avoid as many tussocks as possible. You got the idea and thankfully no false summits.

The Awful Hand range from Mullwharchar
Once on top the views were stunning a fitting reward for the slog before and still to come. The best view was seeing the full range of the Awful Hand quite special on a day like this. To the south Dungeons Hill & Craignaw, another long day ahead for those two.

Meandering Gala Lane and the moor to cross plus Loch Doon top left
A careful descent and reascent of Hoodens and I was looking down over the moor that I had crossed from the bridge over Gala Lane. This really is remote ground. From up here there looked an alternative route but I knew the terrain would be poor, better sticking to the 20 minute sometimes track through the plantation. Indeed once down I found a better track than my in route and glad I stuck with it.

Over the bridge and back on to the hard pack road for the walk back to the car. Delighted to see a shadow flickering about and it turned out to be a Peacock butterfly. Not my first sighting but first snap of the year, spirits lifted.

Peacock
A long and tough walk, nobody else spotted, so almost 7 hours of just me and my mind games!!

Ascent: 894m

Distance: 23.7km

Time: 6.51

Wildlife: Kestrel; Buzzard; Chaffinch; Robin; Meadow Pipit; Raven; Peacock butterfly; Tadpoles: Lizard?

No comments:

Post a Comment