Sunday 2 May 2021

Ettrick Pen circuit.....A long way for a shortcut but a fine walk.....Moffat day 2

Hill: Ettrick Pen (692m); Wind Fell (665m); Loch Fell (688m)

Type: Donald x3

Day 2 started with a filling breakfast at the B&B. After that I wont be doing much more eating on the walk other than grazing, but no complaints I enjoyed it, Although almost choked on my toast when reading Met Office forecast for these hills, heavy snow, unreal.

As the crow flies Ettrick Pen is less than 10 miles from the B&B but my round road trip was 70 miles. I could have cut that shorter but I would have had to ascend another Donald twice to get there and back. Three Donalds enough for today, not five as my biggest day potentially is tomorrow so save some energy for that.

Start
It was a beautiful drive to Ettrick and then the 5 mile single track with minimal parking spaces and the possibility of timber juggernauts coming the other way. This is beautiful countryside, superb rolling hills but the amount of logging activity is off the scale. Sadly leaving many badly scarred hills.

I parked at a small turning area at Potburn from where I could see timber activity ahead. From here the walk is a little bleak as I followed the grey hard packed surface with minimal views of the hills.

Ettrick Pen through the gap
Passed the Over Phawhope bothy, closed of course, but a good spot for Southern Upland Way walkers to rest. 

The bowl of Ettrick Pen I entered from the trees on the left
Shortly after the track ends and I entered the bowl shaped flanks of Ettrick Pen. I followed on and off animal tracks. It is not that steep but seemed never ending. The low cloud did not help but the long angle was such that every time you thought you were near another section loomed. 

Ettrick Pen top
Finally I met the top fence (county boundary) and wandered along to the large cairn, unusual in these hills. The highest point of this group of hills. Exactly an hour from the start, pleased with that 15mins faster than SMC guide time. For all those short stops my fitness is good.

Snow on Bodesbeck ridge, tomorrows walk
The wind was trying to blow me over so off I headed, following the fence giving me good views of the route ahead, even better when the cloud lifted. At least the wind would be at my back all the way to Loch View.

Wind Fell ahead and Loch Fell right behind
Long distance views not great but I enjoyed the superb local views of the Moffat hills. Blown along by strong winds and the occasional blast of hail I was soon ascending the shapely Hopetoun Craig before even more ascending to reach the top of Loch View, 1 and a half miles from Ettrick Pen. 

Wind Fell top looking to Loch View
The summit, marked by a couple of broken fence posts, is a patch of peat bog, ok today but on another day this could be a mud fest. 1.45min still making good time.

Loch Fell looking back
Blimey another steep descent and reascent, a lot of Munros don't have these ups and downs. For all my moaning to myself it was good going and it only took another 30mins where I was at my final top, Loch View. There is a trig and I could see a loch in the distance but it was very cold.

Descent, Capel Fell behind
Thus a quick descent following my ascent route to the bottom point and then heading off track for the SUW below Capel Fell.

Southern Upland Way crossing borders
It was strange to enter a forest, no doubt it wont be here for long. Indeed it was only a short section before joining yet another newly constructed timber track which took me all the way back to the car.

A short but enjoyable circuit just a pity it was so cold. it is sad to see so many beautifully constructed sheep circles built inside these plantations being exposed again with the deforestation. Clearly at one time the sheep were the cash cows here.

A family of buzzards rise, calling to each other, taking advantage of a thermal lift to circle and soar higher, four of them, a nice sight and sound to finish.

Ascent: 760m

Distance: 14.7km

Time: 3.49

Wildlife: Buzzard; Pied Wagtail; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Cuckoo

No comments:

Post a Comment