Sunday, 26 July 2026

Snow, heat & views.....Beinn Mheadhoin (Strathconon)

Hill: Beinn Mheadhoin (Middle Mountain)

Type: Fiona

Height: 613m


It was an interesting drive along a very narrow remote single track to get to the start of the walk. Met a couple of vehicles but thankfully no reversing required. The biggest surprise was about 10 miles in when I came across a sign ‘School’. In the middle of nowhere there was still an active primary school, blimey, long may it continue.

There was already a car in the small grassy parking area at Inverchoran. I parked carefully so that I could get out should other cars come along. There are 2 Fionas and a Corbett from this spot as well as cycling or just walking into the glens.

I had the option of this Fiona or its neighbour Meall na Faochaig and the final decision was the amount of snow. From here Mheadhoin looked the clearer so that was my choice.

The forecast was for a warm day but it certainly did not feel that when I started but I was clad lighter than normal.

View from the parking area at Inverchoran

I wandered down to the estate buildings where a sign indicated walkers to go left across a bridge to the cottage and cross the ford here. So being a good boy I did as told but the ford was wider and running deeper than expected. I was wearing my gaiters so got across without water going over my boots, a couple of handy stones just under the water but they had a good grip, not slimy.

An estate track wound its way up the hill and ahead of me I spotted an ATV heading up it. It was steep and I was puffing a lot more than expected, not until later would I learn I had yet another infection, it had been a bad run.


Having one of my breathers I spotted a couple of deer well camouflaged against the chocolate brown heather and the white snow patches. As I did so I looked back and noted that there were a couple more vehicles in the parking area and a party of 6 along with two dogs were walking down to the estate buildings. I didn’t see them again so I presume they were heading for the Corbett Bac an Eich.

The ATV track rose around the slopes of Creagan a’ Chaorainn and although it was loose and stony it could have made a good bike/hike.

Almost the end of the track for me. The Munro of Carn nam Gobhar beyond

I came to another ford and peaking out beyond it was the Munro Carn nam Gobhar thankfully not my destination.


Crossed the ford which was in the Am Fuar-alltan and soon after I spotted a faint ATV track going through the very boggy ground. What I had missed until found it on the descent was a good stalkers track which ran closer to the burn than my heading. One lives and learns.

Looks benign but all these snow patches held deep holes

So having missed the track I slipped and slid my way up the hill. There were many snow patches that I could not avoid crossing and stepping on many of them I went in over the knees. Thus it was slower and tougher going than this would normally be.

Spot the Golden Plover

Additionally there were many small crags which would also be straightforward to negotiate but the small but many deep snow pockets had to be managed making them a bit more awkward. A golden plover sounded its annoyance at being disturbed, its nest was no doubt close by but it did stay put long enough to let me get a snap.

No hardship to pause and take in the views as I climbed. The Corbett of Bac an Eich

As I got higher the snow on the more open ground was easier to get round. I was in no rush as the views were spectacular. On the summit area next to no snow.

The summit was reached and the view just appeared, a wow moment. Strathfarrer Munros


A wider shot

I spotted the high point which was situated on top of a small crag. When my head was above the crag line it was a genuine ‘wow’ moment as directly ahead was the snow covered Strathfarrer Munros. It was a memorable view. The 360deg view was a similar landscape of mostly white covered winter hills. Once again it proves that it does not have to be the biggest hill to get the best view.

As I took in the view I spotted a small bird bouncing my way. I thought it was going to land on the rocks beside me until it got within 6 feet or so when it took fright and turned away. Absolutely delighted as it was a female snow bunting, absolute yonks since I seen one. I briefly spotted a male and had a few more brief female sightings. They normally travel in small groups of 5-10. It was not just the views that made my day this was special.

Long view west to the Munros of Achnashellach

Unusually for me I spent a long time taking in and fully enjoying the views until the cold sent me on my return journey.

On the descent it was much warmer, so much so that I was unzipping both jacket and trouser vents to let some cooling air in.


Stunning descent with bags of views, I did not notice the lochan on the way up

About a third of the way off the hill I was avoiding a big snow patch when I discovered the stalkers track. For some reason it was mostly snow free so of course I followed it. There were a few times that I looked over to see my deep snow trail unbelievable that this good track was so close and that I had not spotted it.

There was one snow patch that I couldn’t avoid and had a heel slip. With an open jacket my slide introduced a lot of snow into my trousers and pants, unpleasant very wet and cold!!

I now had to cross the ford which this time was more awkward than on the ascent. That rise in temperature was enough to increase the snow melt and as such raising the water level.


Walking back down the track I had good views of Meall na Faochaig. From here it looked like there was more snow patches on its pathless slopes than I had encountered. I had considered doing the double but it would have been more of a grind than I was fit for today. I will leave it for another day. When it should be a nice outing, midgies excepted.

I arrived back at the estate houses to find that the snow melt water had risen considerably at the ford, no doubt I was going to get wet feet if I crossed. It was not just deeper but running much faster.

Well aa they were unlikely to see me again I ignored the water challenge and just walked past the estate houses without looking at their windows and not challenged by the inhabitants.

It was an enjoyable ramble but I knew that this was far from my normal levels of fitness which did reduce my enjoyment.

But what a panorama and a snow bunting, I will appreciate the positives.

Ascent: 584m

Distance: 9.6km

Time: 4.09

Wildlife: Raven; Snow Bunting; Red Deer; Meadow Pipit; Golden Plover; Peacock butterfly; Tortoiseshell butterfly;

No comments:

Post a Comment