Hill: Stob na Cruaiche (Stub of the heap) (A’Chruach) (The heap)
Type: Fiona
Height: 739m
After some internal debate I decided to make this a linear bike/hike rather than a ridge circular. The main factor was that the weather was due to worsen, heavy rain, just after lunchtime and I had minimal wet gear with me.
Parked up at Rannoch Station with more blue sky above than expected. My 1st issue was getting the bike through the gate at the railway. More than wide enough for a walker but very tight for a heavy MTB. Eventually I won the battle but spoiled the start.
The cycle was only 2 miles but even this involved a couple of wrong turns before I reached the timber lorries turning spot.
Bike was tied to a tree in clear view of anyone coming along the track but little other option. Then walked back past the turning circle where I found the ATV track.
It was a steep wee start but for a kilometre or so it is a wet boggy quagmire with much sideways jumping to stay on some dry bits. It has been reinforced in the past with wood slats and planking but much of that has been broken/eroded.
However it did not take long to break the treeline and get out onto the moor and onto a ‘slightly better’ ATV track, note the wording.
I was aware that the ATV had a deviation on my right and that this should not be missed or it was a long slog through pathless peat bogs.
A couple of times I thought I had spotted it but they soon turned back to the main track just avoiding more bog.
Finally another faint track went right which I followed and this time it was the real deal. The gradient was now super good, a long slow ascent. Of course the track was lost and then re-found but overall it was good going, soft underfoot, a nice change.
I had my eye on a single point that looked like a summit trig. Motivation works differently for everybody but the way my mind works I was happy to focus on this as the summit even though I knew it certainly wasn’t. But it worked until I reached it, which of course was not a trig but a slim pointed rock, and then had to refocus on another target.
The ATV track largely evaded the peat hags which was a good thing as the few encountered were deep trenches.
Plus this route which mainly headed west gave great views ahead of the remote water potted landscape of Rannoch moor along with the spectacular Black Mount and Glencoe Munros, more wow moments.
The final section twisted and turned where I was now on a steeper gradient to the summit but all in all still great going.
Before long the trig was reached. Yet another occasion where a relatively infrequently walked hill provides fantastic views due to its stand alone position.
The viewpoint has to cover at least 30 Munros as well as everything else.
Orchy/Glencoe/Nevis/Corrour/Alder
Missed by many a bagger but that is their loss, this stand alone peak is a top notch viewing point.
A simple return by the same route. The terrain was too rough for me to consider an alternative tramp. I still enjoyed great views over Rannoch Moor.
Getting lower down the Lochs of Rannoch, Eigheach & Laidon came into view shimmering in the harsh light. The weather was changing as I watched clouds on my left swiftly running past depositing rain/sleet but not on me today.
Even the muddy track in the woods seemed more straightforward than the ascent.
Bike still attached to the tree so all that was left was the short cycle and another battle with the kissing gate. During the struggle I thought that I was going to have to remove the front wheel at one point to get it through, the joys.
Because of the hills remoteness I was very surprised by the lack of birdlife in both the forest and on the moor. Even the Pipits and Skylark seen were less than the fingers on one hand. Plover & Grouse one spot each. Zero raptors or corvids, when was the last time I did not see a Raven on a remote moor, not often.
The sun had come back out with warmth so wandered to the station tearoom to find that they would not serve me if I wanted to sit outdoors, I would have to use the take away facilities, tourism in Scotland!!
Ascent: 570m
Distance: 14.5km
Time: 3.32
Wildlife: Coal Tit; Great Tit; Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Skylark; Golden Plover;












No comments:
Post a Comment