Saturday, 8 August 2026

Watch out for the drop.....Carnan Cruithneachd

Hill: Carnan Cruithneachd (Hill of the Picts)

Type: Fiona

Height: 729m


The forecast indicated that today was to be the only fully dry day of our weeks break. So a pretty please to the good lady and I was given permission to ramble. So I headed for this nearby Fiona which I thought would be a quickie. An early start but as it turned out the ramble took an hour longer than I envisaged.

A beautiful morning when I parked up at the Mountain Rescue centre. That was an error as I could have gone a bit further and parked at the outdoor centre which would have saved me half an hour of road tramping.

An encouraging start when I heard the first of many cuckoos as I laced my boots, a smile brought to my face. I know some see them as parasites due to laying eggs in other birds nests but I find them remarkable and as said who doesn’t like the call of the male cuckoo. As an aside would you recognise the females call?

Before long I spotted the first of many small red deer herds on the flanks of the Corbett Sgurr an Airgid.


There were more people on the walk in than I expected. I knew of the 2 nearby Munros and the long distance route to Glen Affric. But what I didn't realise was that my walk in was also an option for Cape Wrath Way walkers. I spoke to a few of them en route, another reason for taking longer and surprisingly all bar one English guy were foreigners.


The initial stages had the bulky Munro of A’ Ghias-bheinn directly in my vision. At first I thought this was my target but soon realised my error and mine was still a long way away.

Target in the distance

The track split and I almost made the rookie error of not concentrating taking in the surroundings and following the people in front who were Munro baggers.


But I remembered I had to take the left fork which led to woods and across a well constructed bridge before hitting another tree plantation. A heavy shower ended the fully dry day prediction but thankfully it only lasted a few minutes. Although I did see many showers passing by on either side. When I returned the good lady commented that it must have been horrendous in that hail storm, another break as it did not hit me.

Another split in the trail but the left one was my possible descent route, at this stage I had not fully decided.

I went up to the side of the heather on the right

So up the right hand track until clear of the woods where a single narrow track steeply wound its way up onto the moor in short time. Heavy breathing time. I caught up with more walkers who were on yet another option, this is also the track to the Falls of Glomach.

The SMC book’s route was to follow this track to the high point. But this looked a long way away and I knew that the summit was almost a 90deg turn straight up.

Looked ok from here

So one of those last minute decisions was made and I went straight up. The initial slopes were steep but easy going on the good short grassy sections between the heather. But then the going got much tougher. 60deg slopes meant I was facing right into it and for about 30 metres I was on my knees at times, using the heather to hand pull me up.


Gradient eased and as I looked back down it was certainly steeper than it looked from below. Easier going but of course 3 false ridge tops before I got to my high point and had a view of the hill.

Thankfully I can see it

Still a lot of moor to cross to get there

It was probably about 2 kilometres away but it looked further across the undulating peat hagged moor. The going was fairly straightforward but it was very undulating, quite a few exhales as I crested one height to drop quite a bit before repeating a few times.


Got to the base and although it is craggy there were plenty of grassy rakes to evade them. As said plenty of red deer around and 3 let me get really close to them before moving off.

Summit in view

Puffing a bit I wound my way up to the high point. When I reached the top I got a fright as I glanced down to my left and realised it was a precipitous drop all the way all the way down to the River Elchaig. Wow a real vertigo moment, I had not expected that and glad I had arrived with full visibility and not in cloud, one step too far! Later I was speaking to an ex Mountain Rescue guy who said there had been fatalities from there.




The views were really superb in all directions so it was time for a seat and enjoy my mini pork pies and take it all in. These moments are what the slog is all about, well worth it.

Heading for the trees to the right

Finally time to descend and I opted for the circular descent as I could see the ATV track coming out of the woods. Tramped over the moorland to the track which was rough in places but better than the hags.

Relief no fence to climb

From the ascent I knew the plantation was enclosed by a deer fence so my only concern was if there was a locked gate but it was wide open. In the forest the track was extremely steep covered in stones and rocks so sliding as it was like walking on marbles so it was slow progress.

Finally back on the out route which somehow felt longer. Although I have heard quite a few Cuckoos this year I have not yet snapped one. At a clearing one was calling loudly. On the slopes there were only five small trees and patience paid off when I spotted it. Got my camera out and as I woke it up I heard a bleep, the battery had died.

So apart from the no cuckoo snap it was a good ramble. The gradients tested my fitness but I passed although I know it was at my pace, more comfortable with that now than trying to keep up with faster walkers, old age does not come without some drawbacks.

Back at the car more yacking with other walkers. I think chatting too often was my other half hour lost lol.

Ascent: 820m

Distance: 16.9km

Time: 5.23

Wildlife: Red Deer; Raven; Meadow Pipit; Cuckoo; Chaffinch; Coal Tit; Mistle Thrush; Wild Goats;

No comments:

Post a Comment