Friday 1 March 2019

A wilderness wander on Arran....Three glen walk Lochranza to Catacol

Walk: Three Glens….Lochranza - Catacol
Category: Long Distance Walk.
Today was another unbelievable February day, so mild that it felt like late spring so not an opportunity to be missed. A visit to Arran was the plan.
I have had this little cracker on my list for a while so this trip was overdue.
In this day and age it is quite something that a stunning walk like this can be so remote, so isolated, a wilderness yet so near civilisation and I was so glad.
It was a solo trip so apart from the many red deer that I encountered it was magical peaceful therapy, no humans met on the walk.
I had this three glen walk as a possible option for some of the groups I walk with, no solitude then.
Start
I began my walk from the Lochranza distillery and walked into Gleann Easan Biorach. Immediately you have moved from a busy road and small village into a smashing remote situation, hemmed in on the left by the flanks of Tor Nead an Eoin, the burn cascading noisily and a tight track, what not to like.

There are at least half a dozen small waterfalls to enjoy either from the main burn or as the incomers meet.
Looking back Tom Nead an Eoin on right
There is a track of sorts all the way up to Loch na Davie, 3 miles away. When I say track it was an even mixture of good track, ankle deep bogs and the rest boulder fields. Big squelches as the boots were pulled out of the sucking mud. So rough walking to say the least. 
There was a misty sun haze ahead so the better views were looking back. 
The track rises gradually and about half way up I spotted 5 hinds across the burn who walked at the same pace as me all the way up to the loch. They were aware of me but not spooked, quite delightful company.
The water of life for Arran whisky
Loch na Davie was reached, this small water is the source used for Arran malt whisky down below in Lochranza, reminder I need to buy a bottle.
The terrain had slowed my normal pace for a walk like this, I was averaging just 2 miles an hour, meeting the island bus pick up for the ferry could be tight.
Iorsa Water
The trail goes round the sub2k of Beinn Bhreac at its southerly tip the meandering Iorsa water could be seen glistening as it flowed down to the sea. 
The bigger hills like Cir Mhor & Tarsuinn are shadows in the mist, just can be seen and no more, atmospheric.
Descent Meall nan Damh on left
The walk now descends into Gleann Diomhan, the terrain is not much better.
Great views of the hills ahead, the highest being Meall nan Damh, looks pretty steep from this side. 
The boys
I stop to take a drink and spot another herd of deer so close. I was so concentrated on looking down I had not seen them, again they were wary but not scared.
Gate to nature reserve, where is that tree?
Some of the glen is a nature reserve and I discovered later it is home to one of the UK‘s rarest tree, the Scottish or Arran white beam, there you go I will need to pay closer attention next time.
Where this now joins the third glen, Gleann Catacol, I am scanning the tops to my right, Creag na h-Iolaire but despite its name no Golden eagles are seen today.
Fox Moth caterpillar
Now on relatively flat terrain with the end in sight I am astonished to see a butterfly  flutter across and land on the dry grass. I had to go and inspect. Off it flew, too quickly but it looked dark brown and marked? I also found this caterpillar, from research it appears to be a Fox Moth but that was not the butterfly I spotted.
Glen Catacol
The walk out, almost to the road remains a stunning landscape. As stated nobody else on this trail today. In fact you would probably be unlucky to meet someone. So an excellent, if rough, remote landscape to indulge in your own thoughts uninterrupted, very satisfying this one.
And I walked the whole way without a jacket, it is still February? 
Made the bus by 10 minutes so ferry as planned.

Wildlife: Red Deer, Raven, Jackdaw, Meadow Pipit, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Butterfly?
Time: 3.45
Ascent: 443m
Distance: 11.8km

No comments:

Post a Comment