Monday 26 August 2019

An impressive White Coomb circuit

Hill: White Coomb; Lochcraig Head, Molls Cleugh Dodd
Category: Corbett/Donald x3 (WC counts as both)
Height: 751m ascent?

An early morning start with a B & B brekkie in the tummy. A few overnight campervans but obviously too early for other walkers, a huge contrast with my return to the parking area.
Grey Mares Tail
With the recent rains the falls of The Grey Mare’s Tail were in full flow, a superb sight and sound as huge amounts of water crash down. They are rightly in the top ten waterfalls to visit in Scotland. A good excuse to stop and take a breather and take it all in, excellent views back down the ravine. You can appreciate how there have been fatalities here particularly in winter. A peregrine flies over so fast it soon disappears out of sight as it goes after unseen prey.
Tail burn looks ok from here but not when close up
As I amble alongside the Tail burn I am looking for opportunities to cross on my way back. Not surprisingly the water is high and fast, few stone jumping opportunities, I mark one spot.
Loch Skeen with Lochcraig Hill on right
A couple are wild swimming in Loch Skeen, far too cold for me to try that but they say it is good for you. Lochcraig Head’s crags look mighty impressive and steep, from here.
I should have left this boggy track earlier and cut across to the dyke. As it was I had a long arduous plod through deep heather, peat hags and moss water traps all with clegs buzzing around my face. How I was not bitten today I do not know, they have liked me well enough in the past.
I finally reach the dyke and follow the worn wet path slowly up the hill. Legs are feeling tired today and it is harder going but I have had 4 big walks this week, must getting too old for this.
A pair of kestrels appear, twisting and turning with each other before static hovering, eyes on the ground, but no luck, away they spin. Not sure how large their territory is but conceivably the same pair as yesterday at Whitehope Heights.
Loch from Lochcraig Hill, White Coomb on right
Finally I reach the flat plain and go to the large cairn overlooking the loch, a nice but hazy view. The true summit is over the other side of the dyke, not photogenic.
I thought I was going to get a breather but nope a descent into Talla Nick and backup the other side. It was boggy down there, I tried walking the dyke but too dangerous, stuck to the mud.
More raptor diversions to take a breather. There were more wheatears in these hills over the last two days than I can remember seeing. Every few steps birds flew out of the stones. A sparrow hawk was well aware of this and patrolled up and down the dyke. Most birds were out and back in again before the hawk could strike, I am sure it has its turn. I wonder if the wheatears are migrating from the north and stopping here in the good weather? 
Molls Cleugh Dodd, small cairn straight ahead on horizon
At the top I knew there was an optional diversion to take in the Donald Molls Cleugh Dodd. Looking at the map last night that I saw that it was a fairly level walk so despite the protesting legs I took it in. Another case of a larger cairn and a smaller one. Take them both in again just in case. Nice views of many rolling hills.
Now high level grassy walk to White Coomb
Thirty minutes later back on track and I could see White Coomb over to my right, no more big drops just a solid slowly ascending high walk, following the fence line. Taking it easy and enjoying the views.
Before long I was following a track that moved away from the fence. I was just strolling along before instinct said this was not right. A quick check and now a drudge over the moor to a stile in the fence. It was surprising how much more effort was required in the longer grass.
White Coomb cairn
Over the stile and almost immediately there is the top of White Coomb. A good all round short view, too much haze to see far into the distance, that has not been much of an obstacle this year. Clegs are still buzzing around I wish I had one of those bush hats with the dangly bits.
Follow the dyke back to the Tail burn
I followed the obvious track down, sometimes very steeply. I knew from my earlier look at the burn there was no point in following the dyke to the normal crossing spot. From up here the track to the loch was mobbed, had a coach load of ramblers arrived for a day out? 
Once down a good bit I left the track and took a line through the heather and moss heading towards the mouth of the loch. There are fords marked on the map but none were crossable today. A couple of maybe attempts but the wet rocks were so slippery that I could not get a grip for the final jump. An audience was now gathering on the other side, I was today’s entertainment!!
Finally one a few spots where dry tips of rocks protruded, walking poles a must for balance for the final leap, made it. 
Looked at my watch exactly 4 hours, wow after the initial struggles I made very good time considering I also took the detour.
Looking down to the car park
It was very warm so now I took my time amidst the tourists back down the trail to the car park. 
At the bottom I put my cap in the burn and poured the cold water over my head. Relief and the highlight of the walk.
A very enjoyable walk and glad I did it early in the day.

Wildlife: Scotch Argus; Peacock butterfly; Burnett moth; Peregrine; Kestrel; Sparrowhawk; Meadow pipit; Wheatear
Time: 4.38
Ascent: 835m
Distance: 15.1km

No comments:

Post a Comment