Friday 31 December 2021

A very warm day for a double.....Ben Oss & Beinn Dhubcraig

Hill: Beinn Dhubcraig (Black Crag mountain) (978m) & Ben Oss (Elk mountain!) (1029m)

Type: Munro x2

Ascent: 1253m

Another pair on my To-Do list for too long so an opportune time to get these ticked off. Forecast was good for today but turned out too good, the hottest September day for over 100 years but that was with hindsight. And it made a straightforward route a toughie, numpty.

Where are the mountains?
The weather was definitely variable. When I started from the Kings Field it was dense fog, yip where is that hill.

Spiders webs everywhere, not so nice tangled in your hair
The initial section through one of Scotland's best preserved ancient pine forests was not exactly seen at its best with the fog but it was still atmospheric at times. 

Tick heaven
I was surprised at how narrow the track was, hemmed in by trees and bracken. I past an English couple at the new bridge, never saw them again maybe they should have been on the West Highland Way?

The track has a reputation for being muddy and indeed it was in many places. This was after the prolonged dry spell so I would not want to do it after normal Scottish weather. Also the track is lined with tree branches which in these damp conditions were like ice if caught at the wrong angle.

Glad to be out of the trees and onto moorland. This section is still pretty boggy. At one point a testing prod saw my walking pole disappear in the gloop up to the first lever and would have gone deeper.

Ben Challum on right Tyndrum Corbetts left 
The hills were coming out of the cloud but looking back the fog sill lingered over Tyndrum and the A82.

There is a basic track all the way to the ridge following the burn with cascading waterfalls, a soothing accompaniment. But on the final ascent I was quickly feeling weak, not the weather as it was now a cool breeze. Last week I was floored for a day, thought it was Covid but not. Yesterday the good lady squealed look at your leg. A bright red circle. I suspect that bite was what floored me and possibly the effects still lingered.

On the ridge I had a food break and a blether to a guy who was in front of me. After the food felt better and headed up to Beinn Dhubcraig on its gentle gradient. 

In the haze Ben Oss ahead with peaked Ben Lui behind
Nice top just a pity the haze spoilt the southerly views over Loch Lomond. The views over Crianlarich & Tyndrum hills much better.

I don't like retracing steps on a walk but this was a short retrace as I trekked back to the mini lochans before heading for Oss.

Ben Oss from the lochanns
Although I had studied the route it hadn't clicked how much of a drop there was between the two hills. Probably only about 100m but it was steep and stony. My mindset also clicked that it also meant a third climb later. At times a very slippy stony descent where it was hands on at sections.

Beinn Chuirn and Colonish mine
A long slow plod up the 270m of slopes to Ben Oss. It was now super hot and draining. I was in tortoise mode but I got there encouraged by the stunning views of Ben Lui on my flank.

Ben Lui's great corrie from Ben Oss
I was also thanking the lord that there was no way I was going there today.  I did meet a guy here who had climbed Chleib & Lui and decided to do the 4. Good luck getting back to your car from Dalrigh.

Beinn Dubhcraig seen from Oss
Back down the same way to climb the previous descent.  As I started my left groin went into cramping spasms, what pain. At least the breathing on the climb was now the least of my concerns. Every left step was slow and painful as the muscle spasmed. 

View down to Loch Lomond across the peat bogs
I altered my stride to short steps, straight in line with my body which I also changed to a taller posture. Thankfully these steps calmed it down considerably and I got to the ridge. Downhill all the way after that.

Long walk back
i returned the same way obviously moving carefully. Look at the map this is a long descent and it felt like it. It was now full on blue sky and proper heat. Thankfully my water lasted until near the car but I could probably have done with another couple of litres.

A fine walk and a big walk. Similar distance and ascent to the recent Dalmally pair but this felt much tougher on the day.

Staying locally so time for a cold beer as this was the 100 target achieved. A good feeling despite the sore groin. A nights rest will determine if tomorrows walk happens.

Distance: 17.7km

Time: 7.19

Wildlife: Wheatear; Jay; Raven; 

No comments:

Post a Comment