Sunday 4 October 2020

A walk in cloud and sunshine.....Morven

Hill: Morven

Type: Corbett

Height: 872m

My final outing of this trip was the second most easterly Corbett which is situated in beautiful Deeside. Morven finished the triangle of hills that I wanted to complete in this area. The others have been technically Cairngorms, I suppose something has to be over the boundary. No good lady today so a solo ascent should be a little bit quicker.

Although it was a slightly longer drive to the start I tackled it from the normal shorter but steeper eastern side. What an beautiful atmospheric early morning drive as the light and heavy mist rippled through the trees all the way, stunning.

No other car in the parking area and a red squirrel ran closely past as I tied my boots, only feet away and apparently totally unconcerned. smile on my face.

Smile disappeared as I checked my GPS to find that I had not downloaded my route. It was a last minute decision as I was originally going to walk another Corbett but still a silly error. I also knew I had no map for this section. The clouds were low but I decided to take a chance that there would be a track although looking from here there was nothing obvious.

Ruined cottage and lower slopes of Morvern
I remembered that I had to go past the ruined farmhouse and go through the gate onto the moor, so that bit was straightforward. From here there were two faint tracks, right or left. Both quickly disappeared into the heather.

Narrow wet track into the clouds
I opted to right and indeed there was a narrow track through the heather. Only issue was the heather was wet and I had not put on gaiters. Result was I had to brush past the heather my trousers from knee down were soaked, should I give up? No kept going and rewarded with a Black Grouse bursting out of the heather just in front of me.  

The first 300m section was steep and then got steeper, this got the lungs blowing and the pores exuded last nights very tasty Australian Pinor Noir. The clouds were coming and going and when they stayed it got cold but the narrow track continued.

Is that the top, of course not false top number 1
Above the clouds for now and onto a flatter boggy section before another short steep climb to the large mid cairn. Gun butts line the flanks but quite a few red grouse have survived so far. Then it repeats flat then steep. 

Finally summit in view, large cairn on left, cairn and trig on right
Finally the angle of gradient eases and the large cairn can be seen. The wind is bitter but the clear air gives fabulous views.

Red kites
I was glad to reach the sheltered trig to get a mid layer on. Also delighted to see a pair of red kites flying slowly and fairly close but the sun hindered my view of them. They seemed equally unconcerned with the buzzing ravens. Great views across Deeside but Lochnagar has heavy cloud cover.

Heading back to Mid cairn with Deeside countryside
Decided to just descend by the same route. I knew there was an easier less steep descent but as I was not sure where the track went no point. The descent was more awkward than the ascent as the steep path was full of loose stones/rocks and heel slipping dirt.

Back into the hanging clouds
Glad to get back through the lingering clouds. An excellent little Corbett and in good time.

Below clouds sun shining and after the moor lush fields looking down to the start
Although we have had a couple of poor days overall it has been a rewarding trip. This area never disappoints with plenty more unconquered hills so health permitting I will be back for years to come.

Wildlife: Red Squirrel; Red Kite; Red Grouse; Black Grouse; Meadow Pipit: Wheatear; Raven

Ascent: 674m

Distance: 7.7km

Time: 2.42



No comments:

Post a Comment