Thursday 1 October 2020

The 'I'm on top of the world feeling'.....Ben Gulabin

Hill: Ben Gulabin (Hill of the Curlew)

Type: Corbett

Height: 806m

The day before the predicted storm and a free morning opened up for this quick but lung bursting hill. The initial section was up a steep estate track followed by an unrelentingly steep section almost to the top.

Do I go or do I pass?
Another crisp blue sky morning as I got myself ready to walk. Ominous was the sign at the start of the walk, real of fake news? If it was grouse shooting it could be on this hill, if deer probably going further inland. As it turned out it was real deal as after about 10 minutes on the track I was aware of a vehicle behind me. Turned out to be deer shooters, the two guys in the front friendly but presumably the paying guest in the back just glared at me so I just glared back. 

The Cairnwell on left other Munros on right
As I climbed the views were already superb looking up the winding road to The Cairnwell Munros. Plenty of short stops to take in the views.

Doesn;t look steep from camera, wrong.
It was now time to take on the steeper section which was now a muddy ATV track alongside the gun butts. Just as well the views were outstanding as I was taking plenty of short breath back pauses. On the right Glas Tulaichen dominates. I could hear the occasional stag roaring but they seemed quite far away. I was also listening for the sound of a high powered rifle but nothing, hopefully the wind was against them.


A golden eagle comes over the top and glides down low over the heather trying to spring a grouse but no luck as far as I could see. 

Finally the gradient relents and it is a pleasant stroll across to the summit and its small cairn. Checked the watch and 57 minutes to the top, surprised but pleased. 

Glas Tulaichean on left Cairnwell on right
The views don't disappoint and I can see far and wide. Beinn a 'Ghlo looks so close. All the Cairnwell Munros on both sides. Mayar and Dreish just superb. Time to just sit and enjoy this wilderness. 

Bowl of Glas Choire prominent
I regularly get good panoramas but days as good as this are relatively rare. I really feel like I am on top of the world and so lucky to be able to do this without any crowd around.

View down to Dulmunzie House
I took a stroll over to the far end and look down onto Dalmunzie House hotel and the surrounding slopes. The estate track that goes all the way to the summit of Glas Tulaichen is bright and a bit of a scar on the landscape.

I walk across to the subsidiary summit which is lower but has a much larger cairn. The views south are good but the low sunlight is bright and reduces the impact.

This looks truer than the ascent angle
Standing at the top of the steep section it looks a lot steeper from here but I certainly go down it quicker than I ascended. A kestrel is hovering, wings and tail constant movement to keep its station, but it moves on, no voles here.

Looking up the track presumably the deer shooter took
At the bottom I met a couple of guys with very big backpacks who were concerned about the shooting sign. They were going to jump off Guliban and paraglide around. I hope mister grumpy does not see them chasing away his deer, that would be a laugh.

What a morning everything a short walk can deliver. Now time for a shower and a walk in a glen hoping the good lady will hear some stags roaring.

Wildlife: Golden Eagle; Kestrel; Raven; Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit.

Ascent: 507m

Distance: 7.4km

Time: 2.18

No comments:

Post a Comment