Sunday 7 May 2017

River Ayr Way Glenbuck - Muirkirk

Back again to complete the walk. With my good lady around we drove to Glenbuck where she would walk with me for a bit then drive on and meet me at Muirkirk.
Yesterday using public transport it was about 2 and a half hours from leaving home to starting the walk, today’s drive to the same location just under 30 minutes.
As always for me finding the exact start seems to be problematic. We were looking for the signposted lane, not evident driving from Muirkirk!! We drove past the loch, turned back and went up the first right turn, spotted the waymarker and reached the small parking area.
A few minutes taking photos and studying the river Ayr board then the short walk to spend some time at the impressive memorial to Bill Shankly. For people of my generation memories of this great character remain strong.
Almost at the road where we turned in and the track between the hedge and fields is evident. 
A short stroll and you cross the road to now mainly walk the old railway line to Muirkirk. 
In truth there is not a lot to comment on this section. The walk is mainly close to the road absolutely flat, you can see everything ahead. The terrain is open moorland, sheep everywhere. On your right there are good views of Cairn Table, its 2 prominent cairns and its outlying hills. 
It is also interesting to see how small and narrow the River Ayr is near its source but the worn away embankments suggests it can surge fast and high even up here.
On your right is another huge opencast mine/quarry which does not make for very attractive viewing. Is it a sign of the isolation or relative low wealth of this area that they make no attempt to hide these workings, just scarred blots on the landscape.
No hiding the mining
It is worth taking some time to think what this would have looked like a century ago, lead mines, coal mines, the tarmac experiments, railways, a landscape of noise and smoke, very different.
Mrs B headed back and I walked on to my only potential issue of the day. An ex farmer had told me yesterday that that the farmer had been authorised to graze a small group of tups on the walkway but that this exemption had expired and it should be clear. You guessed it there they were all lying across the narrow path. My sage said that with the breeding season over their testosterone levels should be low but never turn your back on them and you can't outrun them. Great. As I closed in one by one they rose, these rams were big headed, big horned, powerful beasts and could no doubt do damage. Luckily they were all prepared to move a little, I had to turn my back on them as they were spread out but no charges, whew. No stopping to take photos.
Muirkirk ahead
I entered a small wood near Muirkirk where I met a fellow who told me he was a conservation officer for the River Ayr Walk and had a complaint yesterday about tups on the path. Well, well, my sage from yesterday I wonder? He wanted to see them for himself before going to the farmer.
Going through the woods I heard my only cuckoo of the day. Mrs will be jealous that she wasn’t here.
A bit of twisting and turning and the walk arrives at Kames, a short walk to end both the day and my River Ayr adventure. The good lady and I then continued to Tibbie’s brig for our windy picnic.
Distance 4.47, a 90 minute stroll with minimal ascent.

No comments:

Post a Comment