Saturday 2 April 2022

Creag Rudah

Hill: Creag Rudah (Glen Tarken) (Red Crags)

Type: Graham

Height: 712m

I decided to tick this one off as I missed it last year when doing its pal Beinn Each. It was actually meant to be the easy walk of the trip but my legs didn't feel that way. 

I left a stormy home but as hoped the winds had dropped inland at the start. Huffing and puffing up the steep track, all going well until I cut off to head for the hill track. However the ford and burn were not to be crossed today neither at the ford nor after walking a fair way up. It could have been done with wet boots guaranteed and a potential risk as on my own and I did not want that that at the start.

I knew that there was a hydro track going right to the far end of the glen before curving round and passing the start I wanted. So grudgingly I took the longer trek on the hard track. There was a fair more ascent and descent than planned for. Feet did not like this one bit. I reckon it added at least an hour to the ramble.

Finally time to leave the track and headed up through the rough grass and heather. Animal tracks only to follow if lucky. I was on the wrong side of the ravine but it looked easier walking.

Rough walking and I came across some grouse butts, pretty remote shooting this. 

Of course this is peat hag countrty. Along with sodden underfoot conditions it seemed to take an age to get to craggy summit, not the nicest walking.  The wind was up and it was bitterly cold so I did not hang about for long. Full black clouds passing over. Good view over the Lawer hills and Ben More. 

The snow showers were coming through so a quick descent back to the track and the long plod back. At the least the wind and showers were at my back helping me along as my legs did not want to rush. A good walk but the legs knew it was a long one.

















Ascent: 825m

Distance: 17.7km

Time: 5.02

Wildlife: Buzzard; Carrion Crow; Raven; Redwing 20+; Red Grouse; Fox Moth Caterpillar,


No comments:

Post a Comment