Tuesday 5 December 2023

A stunning rainbow and eagles in Glen Banchor.....Creag Liath

Hill: Creag Liath (Grey Cliff)

Type: Fiona

Height: 743m

I took the opportunity to tick off this Fiona with the good lady's support. Well that means she would join me for the walk up beautiful Glen Banchor but she would only go as far as the end of the stony estate track after which she would return and I would bash the hill.

Creag Liath from the start
The walk in is the same as for the 3 Munro circuit, parking a couple of miles up the single track from Newtonmore.
Good lady survived the coo field
The good lady was a bit apprehensive as the walk start had a big sign saying beware cattle and calves ahead. A local dog walker said that the farmer was well known for putting bits of livestock around this area, known for his pettiness she added. She did say that this years cattle/calves were less spooky than last years, not sure this totally reassured the good lady! Walked up to the ruins, another beautiful area that had a large population before being cleared for sheep but luckily for them they were rehoused in Newtonmore.

Glen Banchor impressively rugged glen at the best of times became quite spectacular when the light rain brought on a stunning rainbow. I dont think that I have ever seen a lower rainbow.

Maximum zoom far clearer through the binos

Just after we spotted this beauty flying high in the sky and only through the binos I spotted another two that could not be seen with the naked eye. The good lady was delighted. Later I looked at the map and noticed that they were flying above Eagle Crag.

Stone track ends muddy stuff coming up
At the end of the stony estate track the good lady turned back and I moved on to the bogfest and this section was as good a muddy bog fest as I have been in for ages. I was heading for where the track splits with right going to the Munros and left up my wee hump. Fifteen minutes of gloopy sodden bog followed before I decided to cut off the heather flanks being preferrable to this stuff. A walk report mentioned following a path but on these lower slopes it was nowhere to be found.
Doesn't look too bad from here but it wasn't pleasant walking

Mumbling not very nice words I hauled my way through up the heather grassy slopes and I stumbled upon an atv track. It was going away from the direct route but I decided to give it a go. The tracks that existed were running with water and still rather boggy, maybe better going back to the direct heather route. Decision taken out of my hands as the atv track disappeared.

Better going nearer the top
I reached the 1st crags and bypassed them to my left before heading directly up where, you guessed I found a path. It did its best to disappear at times but I reached a crest and could see the summit about a kilometre ahead. A large peat hag negotiated and then it was the final climb where the summit cairn surprisingly appeared.
Track left of trees was the ascent couldnt see the good lady

Carn Dearg on the left
It is a good viewpoint in all directions. Obviously the Monadh Liath Munros. So worth the effort. I could see the estate track and the coo field but but no chance of picking out the good lady. Across the way is another Fiona of Creag Liath.


Found the ATV track

Stunning scenery but still a bogfest

On the way back I followed the track but not long before it disappeared and it was back to heather bashing before finding the ATV track then the boggy trail before reaching the estate track.

This lot will be hoping

that this is unoccupied
Reached the field of coos who had decided to move forward to intercept me but I was too quick for them or more likely they just could not be bothered. I followed the fence and caught some movement out of the corner of my vision. Ambushed? No it was about a dozen red deer hinds who immediately ran away but regathered and stood there ground as I passed moving away from them. A nice finish.

Back to the car to find the good lady waiting. A good ramble with some excellent wildlife.

Ascent: 536m

Distance: 13.2

Time: 3.44

Wildlife: Golden Eagle; Red deer hinds; Meadow Pipits; Buzzard

No comments:

Post a Comment