Tuesday 5 December 2023

Grey ramble on.....Bengray

Hill: Bengray

Type: Sub2k

Height: 366m


Its raining, its pouring, as the saying goes, but today might stay dry before it is all returning tomorrow.

I hadn't planned to go out today but after watching Judith the weather on the BBC app, whilst snuggled under the duvet, I decided to go for it.

Judith forecast that ‘almost’ all of the country was going to have a beautiful day, full of late year sun and great views.

A short outing was required. I drove heading south into the glare of the low sun moaning that I should have gone north with the sun behind me.

However, it did not take long before I began to doubt the wisdom of heading south, not because of the glare but when reaching Patna I was in full mist and fog conditions, trying to remember where the fog lights were in this car, yip it was that bad.

Above Loch Doon optimism rose again as although the lower levels were still shrouded I had risen above it and if one was on these hills a grand inversion.

On the descent to Carsphairn everything went downhill, not just the pot holed road but the lack of visibility. It couldn't stay like this could it? I watched Judith tease me on the map, no clouds to be seen down here.

Thought it was clearing at start but wrong

When I arrived at the start it was indeed no joke slightly clear with limited visibility ahead. A consequence of quickly throwing gear together was about half way on the drive I realised that I had left my GPS at home and had not brought a map. Luckily I had a signal and opened the OS map on my phone, drew a few straight lines that would bear little reality to the actual ramble but at least I had a map.

Last time I drove past the starting point there were coos everywhere but today they seemed to be congregated around the feeders on the other side of the road. 

The walk starts via a signpost for Loch Whinyeon so I followed that track for a short spell. The huge deposits on the track indicated the coos might still be around.

Was still optimistic

Over a very slippery wooden style and followed the track for a bit before making a decision to head off across the moor towards Benfadyeon. 

Then this for most of ascent

With theses misty conditions the hills and hummocks appeared with the distortion of being much larger than they were. I was on the pathless moorland heading for the highest top that I could see and when reached of course another one appeared. According to the map it should have been a relatively flat walk from Benfadyeon to point 272 and beyond. But on the rough moor it did not feel like it.

Taken on way down ATV track I stumbled across far left

After point 272 I crossed a broken stone wall and stumbled across an ATV track which would take me to point 362. Wet and boggy in places but much better than the moor.

Final top getting closer

The summit top is only 4 metres higher than this point and it is not far away. It was only whilst looking around that I remembered walk reports mentioning a barbed wire fence and I was looking at it. I had changed rucksacks and emptied this one to find my covering for an assault over barb wire, yipee.


A scramble over with a slight tearing sound, inside trouser leg, minor damage. Between here and the trig was by far the worst of the going and that says a lot but 5 minutes later I was at the trig. Sadly nae views.


Stumbled back towards where the fence was and a bit of luck, I was further over and found a section with the barbed wire cut at NX 629598

Feeling good at crossing the fence without more damage I was even happier when I a couple of stags started calling. In this mist they could have been anywhere but it sounded like they were south of me.

Started to lift on descent but came down again just as quickly

Far side still in cloud

I followed the ATV track and initially the mist lifted giving me some views re where I was heading. It was not long before the clouds descended again. I followed the ATV for longer before the brain warned me it was going south of where I wanted to be. No big deal as I would have reached the loch at some point. I took it as far as I could to shorten the moorland section which was a good decision. At one point, a Woodcock just about gave me a heart attack it literally stayed hidden until I almost stepped on it.

Bird on left best profile

Slightly better viewing on the final section. The hills across cleared and I was amazed and delighted to see a pair of birds making wide effortless circles, going higher and higher in the thermal they had found. Huge wingspans no doubting the sighting. They have released over 40 birds as part of the Moffat programme so they must be spreading all over the South of Scotland seeking out their own territories. So despite the weather what an end to the ramble, thanks Judith.


Ascent: 288m

Distance: 5.11km

Time: 2.11

Wildlife: Golden Eaglex2; Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Woodcock; Red Deer Stag calling

No comments:

Post a Comment