Wednesday 6 December 2023

Still no reindeer.....Carn a Ghille Chearr

Hill: Carn a Ghille Chearr (Hill of the unlucky (or awkward) boy.

Type: Fiona

Height: 710m



I was given a morning of freedom as the good lady was struggling a bit from her exertions yesterday and was happy with some retail therapy. So I decided to complete my Cromdale hills double albeit the other summit being a few years after the 1st.

Normal morning misty conditions when I left Aviemore for a pleasant drive to the start. This would normally begin from the Cromdale side but I had read that the tracks from that side were pretty overgrown and as the hills were still full on with heather and bracken maybe not the best choice. For the sake of another 20 minutes drive there is a much easier ascent from the other side so that is what I opted for.

For the final 5 miles the sat nav took me along an extremely narrow windy road with minimal forward visibility and next to no passing places so fingers crossed not to meet any oncoming traffic. I only met one and luckily it was at one of the few passing spots.

Ample parking

Head up far left summit far right


Parked up at a good location for walkers and fishermen and headed along the signed track before turning up through livestock fields via a track signposted for Cromdale.

Reached a cattle grid where a bunch of sheep decided to do a run over it, wow, four made it and two went straight through, amazingly they got themselves out by the time I reached them.

The next field was unfenced and I spotted cattle at the far end, where would they be when I returned.

The farm at Knock is ruined and the sign for Cromdale was hidden in overgrown brambles. It was the last time a sign was spotted and if people were trying to do it the track disappears and becomes rough moorland.

Track about to end

Rough ground

I took advantage of the track to its surprising end, the surrounding moor covered in purple heather. I presume the track was for shooting but I could see no sign of butts and the heather was wild not patchwork. I did flush a few grouse but not until the high ground.

After the track ended I just kept heading up through peat bogs, very wet patches and lots of heather, not hard just a plod.

Got to the ridge section where I thought I would find a path between the two Fionas but this was not obvious until later so more moorland plodding for a kilometre.

Finally stumbled across the track but in truth it was so boggy that it was easier to just stick to the moor.

Target is left side

Of course a false top was reached where I could see the top with the trig in view a further kilometre away. This was an easy flat tramp but probably the wettest section of the ramble. The weather was pretty good and the views were good enough.
Looking to Ben Rinnes

Looking back the ascent route

Reached the trig after 1.45m, thought it would be 2 hours so happy with that. Good views particularly across to Ben Rinnes.
Boggy

The corrie of 2nd Fiona Creagan a Chaisse showing

The return was the same. Good views looking back over the other Fiona and also down to the Spey valley. More moor bashing before rejoining the track back to the farm. I was keeping my eyes open hoping to sight the resident reindeer herd but no such luck.
Old wheel and water trench visible

From this side it was interesting to see the ruined building had a waterwheel and a concrete water channel structure. Clearly at one time there had been a water course that has been diverted elsewhere, such a shame that history has been abandoned.

Of course the coos had moved closer to the track and had multiplied. They were all sitting chewing the cud so far so good. A fence seperated me from another fie;ld full of similar cows and sheep but one cow got quite flighty and came to the fence a bit agitated.

Head butting the gate

Then I reached a gate in said fence where very large sheep, a new variety to me, were giving it headbutts. As I passed they spooked and one got its head briefly stuck and there was lots of metallic banging as the gate repeatedly connected with the posts. The agitated coo had not taken its eyes off me and started bellowing. All the bedlam got the coos in my field interested ending their chewing the cud. Thankfully I got over the cattle grid before they got to me, bloody livestock farms!

Back to the car in one piece. Overall a fairly simple ramble that I enjoyed apart from that last piece.

Cromdale hills no more.

Ascent: 512m

Distance: 12.3km

Time: 3.16

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Raven; Buzzard; Red Admiral; Speckled Heath; Red Deer hinds; Red grouse;

No comments:

Post a Comment