Wednesday 6 December 2023

Picking off the tops on the Manor hills.....Garelet Hill

Hill: Garelet Hill (680m); Lairds Cleugh Rig (684m); Eire Hill (690m) (A narrow pass)

Type: New Donald; Donald Top; Donald

It had been about 5 weeks since I climbed a hill and I knew that if I did not start hillwalking soon it would be easy to lose the motivation. Not that I had been inactive, I was actually feeling at my fittest for some time but through other exercise. So, the one thing to get me going was to get planning and that was to draw up a winter programme. Targets I have a love/hate relationship but they work for me, sad that way.

Suitably motivated I headed off to my first winter plan objective. It was a beautiful blue sky day but the forecast was for strong and cold northerly winds. Not quite winter but certainly not shorts weather.

It was a return to the beautiful Manor Hills in the Games Hope valley.

It was as cold as it looked
I drove alongside Fruid Reservoirs looking at the frothy white waves being driven by the wind funnelling up the corridor of the reservoir lying between the hills. The car temperature showed 6 degrees but when I stepped out it was a wow, this is cold, moment. Motivation tester but I had driven a fair bit so was not giving up yet. I had thrown 3 jackets in the car and it was time for heavy duty gear to be donned including hat and gloves, was this for real?

I had decided to tick off a couple of Donald extras but this meant repeating the Donald of Eire Hill before ticking off its outliers.

Steepness of gradient can be seen at the start



Bracken dying off but adds colour
I had conveniently put the steep ascent which begins right from the start to the back of my mind but it did not take long for it to become forefront. Fit I might have felt but that was not hill fitness and I was soon puffing and blowing, much to the delight of the watching sheep on the flanks above me.

The ATV track lasted for a while before I was ‘enjoying’ the struggles through the tussocky terrain that only the South of Scotland provides for entertainment, remember this a hobby to be enjoyed I muttered.

Tussocks but Eire hill can be seen

Bit boggy, Erie Hill follow the dyke
I was glad to reach the treeline and the easier going where I followed the found again ATV track to the top of Eire Hill. Again I had forgotten how long this section was, probably not really too long but it felt like it.

Ridge I want off to the left
The views were superb but the wind was as predicted, strong and cold, so the jacket hood was now up as well, what a wimp but at least nobody else could see me.

Lairds to the fore, Garelet just seen behind
Rather than descend to the deer fence I did a bit of cross country before joining the track to Lairds Cleugh Rig, there was a bit of a descent but not much of an ascent is this really a separate top?

Unmarked top of Lairds Cleugh Rig
Nothing to mark this top but I could now see the main target of Garelet Hill which even with my dodgy eyesight I could see had a trig on top. As I ascended I came across the only other person I saw on the hills. A young hill runner came shooting down the slope towards me, no chance he was stopping for a chat. A brief ‘morning’ as he sped past.

Once again a gentle descent took me to the deer fence. I had a slight concern about whether I would need to scale it but fortune was in my favour and a gate was found.

Culter Fell in distance from Garelet Hill

View to Broad Law
A short saunter up the hill and the trig was reached. The views were really good with two caveats, deforestation and wind turbines. Keep looking north and east over Broad Law, Meggat reservoir etc, but forget the south west vista. I omitted the turbines snap.

Looking down to Talla Linfoots
Returned the same way watching heavy rain showers going north to south over to the west but none came my way.

Descending towards tussocks and Fruid reservoir
Apart from the tussocky ground it was a straightforward return with time to enjoy the very attractive borders landscape.

The Donald of Cape Law behind the farm
An enjoyable straightforward ramble completed quicker than the route planner indicated so pleased with that. Great views but the winter gear clearly required from now on.

Ascent: 553m

Distance: 8.4km

Time: 3.02

Wildlife: Meadow Pipit; Raven; Sparrowhawk; Kestrel

No comments:

Post a Comment