Tuesday 5 December 2023

Beyond the Grey Mares Tail.....Nickies Knowe

Hill: Nickies Knowe (761m); Lochcraig Head (801m) (The cliff of the loch)

Type: New Donald, Donald .

Another good weather forecast so another trip to bag a Donald Top. Last night the stars were sparkling so the early start meant the first defrosting of the car this autumn, likely only a light frost so a 5 minute job.

Main landslip huge, other one top and left
Arrived early at the Grey Mares Tail car park with only half a dozen cars around, it would be a different scene when I came back down. Looking ahead a huge landslide and at least one other which I snapped later.

Superbly constructed path plus Grey Mares Tail lower waterfall

Upper left landslip from earlier snap

Grey Mares Tail upper waterfall
I was well wrapped up as I began the ascent, too well wrapped at this stage, always start cool!! The recently repaired stone track is superb but I had forgotten how steeply it goes up so once again huffing and puffing away. I dont mind paying for parking if there is a benefit to the walker and the National Trust have delivered on the path. But where are the toilet facilities?  At least there was a good excuse to stop and take a picture or two of the waterfall which was quite spectacular.

I had been unzipping as I climbed but when I reached the top of the falls the wind was back with full force so everything zipped up, hat and gloves donned. Earlier this year a man had fallen into the burn and was swept over the top waterfall, badly injured but luckily was removed before he went over the main waterfall.

Unfortunately the blue skies were now less existent, all the tops swathed in grey. I spoke to a couple who were struggling to find a spot to cross the burn and with the low clouds were debating whether to just go back, I left them to their debate but she looked determined to go back, wonder what the outcome was?

Cold Loch Skeen with Lochcraig Head behind and in cloud
Loch Skeen made me shiver, it looked a cold place today, grey water, large waves crashing into the sides, no wild swimmers spotted this time.

Caterpillar still out, Fox Moth I believe
I was now focused on getting across the heather bog trap to the fence to see if it was easier walking. Indeed it was, well at least for a short time. The wet patches were extreme traps of peat bogs and sphagnum going as deep as half way up my poles, not putting my foot in these traps.

Follow the fence at times better going
Negotiated safely and back to the fence where a narrow worn track meandered to the base of the hill.

The large cairn for the false top of Lochcraig Head

Lochcraig Head's true summit point
Time for the 2nd assault of the day as I followed the fence to the end of stage 1, from prior experience I knew that when the fence took a left turn then another gentler ascent led to the large cairn on the fringe of Lochcraig Head and its dramatic views over Loch Skeen and beyond. A cairn no doubt mistakenly bagged by a few walkers as the Donald summit.

I did not go over to the cairn but crossed the style and followed a faint grassy path to the true baggers top of Lochcraig Head, no frills here just a few rocks. The clouds had started to lift and the vista was expanding nicely.

My objective, Nickies Knowe, as a New Donald implied a few ups and downs. Yes there were but the ground was a delight to walk on, good grassy trails and even the off piste sections had no difficulties.

Nickies Knowe ahead

The Eildons stand out in distance from one of East Tulla's cairns
I could see ahead to the first area marked on the map called Talla East Side, This had been a fairly gentle descent and over the fence were two very large stone cairns, what were these recognising, no idea? Many a Donald or Graham would have been proud of them.

Tulla reservoir with Culter Fell & Tinto behind
Nickies Knowe was about a kilometre away. A gentle 50m descent and about 20m uphill and I was there. As I said earlier, this top would have appreciated one of the cairns on Talla East.

Still good views now that the clouds had lifted even though the wind was still trying to blow me over. Hood, hat and gloves still on.

Nickies Knowe summit

Looking back the way I came White Coomb back right
I liked the view through the blue water of Tulla reservoir across to Culter Fell. But the best surprise was looking SE where the Eildons of Melrose were proudly standing above the surrounding countryside, easily the highest hills in that area. I was well out in isolated country and had hoped to hear some Red Deer rutting but not a thing. There must be some around here in this barren landscape but not today.

I returned the same way to Lochcraig Head.

Loch Skeen passing clouds covering White Coomb
I had considered adding in Carlavin Hill via Molls Cleugh Dod but in these winds it looked a tramp too far. Plus I had been looking at the map yesterday and spotted a more straightforward ascent from the Tulla side and from this perspective it looked a goer.

Cracking view for a late lunch briefly out of the wind
As I descended I bumped into a group from Livingstone Ramblers. Talked to them about their planned route which to me sounded a bit optimistic considering the time it now was and add in that a few of the group were still well down the ascent, good luck.

Back to car park Donald of Andrewhinney Hill behind
The day had been a mixed bag weather wise but thankfully any rain missed these hills. Despite the wind I enjoyed ramble, never a hardship coming to the Moffat Hills.


Ascent: 775m

Distance: 13.2km

Time: 4.47

Wildlife: Wren; Pheasant; Raven; Red Grouse; Meadow Pipit; Caterpillar

No comments:

Post a Comment