Sunday 31 December 2023

A special day on a Cowal Fiona.....Beinn Ruadh

Hill: Beinn Ruadh (Red mountain)

Type: Fiona

Height: 664m

I am focusing on my Fiona target before the weather turns so whilst the dry weather was around it was another trip across the water to bag another of the Cowal Fiona's.

Beinn Ruadh seemed the most straightforward of these for a day trip. It is mainly steep moorland hills with forestry issues that I had left on Cowal so options limited. There are 2 main routes, the most common appears to be the very steep route from Inverchapel. But for the sake of 10 minutes more driving I opted for the longer ramble starting from about ¾ mile up the turn off at Whistlefield, indeed you could start from the Forestry Commission sign at Whistlefield and add a couple of miles to the walk.

The forecast was for another clear day and it was just that on the mainland. However off the ferry and I was into fog. I knew the walk had about 30 minutes of forestry walking so decided to start it and assess conditions once I hit the moor proper.

Sign saying route will be closed when work starts

Take the right turn


There is enough space for one car without blocking access across from the start. Crossed the icy road where a sign stated that work would be starting soon and this route would be closed. It might not affect the main track from Whistlefield which this joins.

Another very cold day, well wrapped up from the start where a short trek to meet the main track which you continue with until a fork in the track where I went right.

As far as forestry sections go this was a more pleasant one. Soft underfoot, a good gradient, plenty of gaps so did not feel hemmed in. Plus there was a huge flock of goldcrests all the way up, occasionally seen but mainly heard their oh so soft calling, very relaxing sound.

Glad I found this even for the short section

Another Fiona Beinn Bheag

Panoramic view

Not much snow but the ground was frozen solid it was bitter, spikes would have helped at times

I reached the moor where I was now above the fog with some super inversion views. There is a broken fence which I originally stayed nearside but the going was awful. Crossed over to find an old ATV track which was a godsend.

This took me up to the west of Sligrachan Hill, easier going but all water was frozen solid so detours into the tussocks frequently required as no spikes with me.

At this point I was at circa 530m and felt that I had done all the hard work but oh no the slog is just beginning.

I knew this was a longer route but I had not done my homework and studied the terrain well enough. I thought it looked pretty flat on the map but there were as many ups and downs as I have had on a hill for yonks. They might only have been 50-80 metres but they took their toll as the terrain was pure tussocky moorland. my calves were a tad sore.

There were some ATV tracks but mostly deer tracks. Surprisingly good in places before abruptly disappearing, where did they go?

I almost gave up when another lump appeared in fron of me with steep craggy ground at the top. I initially started to climb but this was silly so inched my way around where it became a grassy gully, still steep deep grass, more moaning.

You can go either side of the big lump ahead, not the top I wanted

Then you have to descend and see this, still not the top

After getting up drop down and yet another wee lump and still not the top

Yet another down and reascent you guessed still not the top

Finally that is it in the distance

Having dragged myself up there was yet another higher lump in the distance. Maybe only 20-30 metres higher but it looked like Everest.

Full ridge across the loch, 2 Fionas, Beinn Mhor & Bheag

Snow shower over Ben Lomond I think

The views were clear across to the Arrochar tops and maybe Ben Lomond? Nearby the fog still hung around but the inversion views superb.

My brocken spectre



On my way down I encountered my 1st ever brocken spectre, all those years without seeing one I was well chuffed. At least I got the snaps before it disappeared, sharp they are not but it meant a lot.

More meandering around crags when I spotted movement on the crags away to my right. An animal, it moved quickly and low to the ground, I assumed fox but it looked black and its movement was more cat like. It had spotted me as It stopped and looked from behind a boulder. Too far away to be sure. Never saw it again but was that another 1st?

Corbett of Beinn Bheula on right


Even with good light there are many hillocks and crags to navigate with some veery steep fall offs, grassy they may be but you could roll a long way. I would not like to do his on a bad weather day. At times I knew I was not on my outward track, too close to Loch Eck side but eventually I found the ATV track back to the forestry ascent.

Clouds clearing and Loch Eck looking smashing 

All in all a fine ramble with splendid inversion views but I suspect my Cowal Fiona bagging might end here.

Ascent: 721m

Distance: 10.7km

Time: 4.06

Wildlife: Sparrowhawk; Coal Tit; Goldcrest huge flock in forest; Fox or Big Cat!!


No comments:

Post a Comment