Tuesday 26 December 2023

The hidden grouse moors.....Hunt Law

Hill: Hunt Law

Type: Donald Top

Height: 639m


After a superb breakfast at the excellent Queensberry B&B in Moffat, a good option if staying over, I made the short drive north to the Manor Hills. It was a grey sky but still a lovely drive through these rolling border hills. As I passed the Devils Beeftub I spotted a big bird in the sky, immediate thought Golden Eagle but by the time I safely stopped and got the binos out I saw it no more. As 40 birds have now been released in this area there was a good chance of it being an eagle.

My walk objective was to pick off another Donald Top, this time Hunt Law, an outlier of Cramalt Craig. I remember doing CC with Broad Law from the Meggat stone but the onward rough ground and then the trek back was too much for that outing but no hardship to have to come back and bag it on its own via a new route.

During my planning I identified 4 different options and I hummed and hawed over making this a bike/hike. I couldn't find any reports using my planned route, there's a surprise, and I was concerned about potential gates/fences that I could not get the bike over. As it turned out it would have been ideal for the bike but heehaw.

The bridge over the River Tweed at the start

I parked up at a convenient layby opposite my start point where I crossed the bridge over the River Tweed at Patervan Farm. The OS map suggested an on-off grassy farm track at the beginning but aerial maps appeared to show a timber route and indeed this was the case. This goes for about 2 miles circling Polmood Hill before reaching an open area at the base of Birkside Law.

Texel sheep

This is sheep country and there were plenty of them about. Most were traditional breeds but the 1st ones I encountered was this pair of Texel sheep. I love the attitude they give out, always think they are ready for a scrap, probably with me lol.

The winding track, Hunt Law at the back

Palmood burn


Broad mass of Hunt Law

After a short spell a grassy track weaves its way below Birkside Law with the long flat top of Hunt Law right in front. Apart from the sheep the only other sound was the waterfalls of the descending Polmood Burn. Still a beautiful spot for a walk.

A well constructed sheep pen, there were a few more around

I presume this was a Corvid/Raptor trap but a new design to me. It was empty but I did not see any ravens/crows on the ramble.

Grouse butts near the top of Hunt Law

Final track to the top

Apart from the sheep shooting pheasant and red grouse appears to be the economics of this place. The grassy track became a new rough ground ATV track as it rose taking me to the rear of Hunt Law. 

View West to Culter Fell/Tinto

View NE Pentlands just peaking through

The main view is dominated by the Corbett of Broad Law and the demoted Corbett of Cramalt Craig. Although only 4 metres shorter than Broad Law its descent was measured at 146m and not the 150m required for Corbett status, small things do matter to some.

The mast on top of Broad Law

It surprised me how this hidden side of the Manor Hills is devoted to grouse shooting, I am surrounded by a vista of patchwork heather. Not at all evident from the Meggat side or indeed any other side. It gave me a moments pause to think about the many acres of shooting moorland I have tramped across and question just how many people shoot for a so called pastime, a lot more than I would like to think.

Patchwork grouse moors

At this point I would have left my bike and walked the remaining 40 metres of ascent up a grassy slightly eroded ATV track to the top. Fairly short distance but nice views over the wind turbines to Culter Fell. Through the gap in the Drumelzier hills could be spotted some Pentland tops. And behind me the aforementioned grouse moors and Broad Law.


Spotted quite a few of these but thankfully empty of mustelids

A gentle saunter back the same way spotting a few traps, wouldn't be a grouse moor without them but thankfully empty. Had a look at this enclosure, not sure if it was a corvid/raptor trap but the skies were certainly absent of them.

Birkside Law's steep slopes

On the walk out Birkside Law was prominent and looked a much more shapely hill than Hunt Law, more deserving of recognition I thought.

Fly Agaric mushroom

Under the trees I spotted a large fungi patch dominated by the Fly Agaric.  Interesting how many had a clean cut wedge out of them with no sign of the wedge. I don't know a lot about mushrooms but I know red is normally dangerous and these definitely are.

Suddenly I was stopped in my tracks by the sound I had hoped to hear. A stag roaring but only a couple of times. I stood for 5 minutes but no more roaring. Where are you? I began to question myself but I knew what I heard, probably on the top of the hill or in the trees, even other side of the hills. No sighting, just the sound of the roar, unforgettable and the highlight of my day.

Ascent: 471m

Distance: 13.8km

Time: 3.12

Wildlife: Buzzard; Pheasant: Red Grouse; Grey Heron; Wren; Robin; Great Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment