Tuesday 28 May 2013

Cycling the local up's and downs

The weather forecast suggested a nice day ahead but this is the West of Scotland. The view from the house out towards the west was of a mainly blue sky but the view towards the east and inland, where I was heading, was rather dark grey. However, I wanted the road bike ride today so off I went. 
I headed along the Troon cycle path towards Prestwick airport then headed up to Monkton passing the search & rescue helicopter base of HMS Gannet but the machines were hidden away or out on a rescue. I was now on quieter country roads which included a bit of climbing and obviously fast descents eyes ahead for the potholes. I cycled up the Galston road. At the crossroads it was decision time, turn left for Galston and Tarbolton or right for Ayr. The wind was decidedly cooling and I was glad I had put on a windproof jacket. The clouds were now dark enough to suggest rain so cowards decision made, I headed back towards Ayr which brought me to the Sandyford roundabout. The countryside around here is typical lush green fields, the mainly dairy cattle were now out of their winter byres and almost every field was occupied. 
Normally I am very aware of traffic behind me but out of the blue a motorbike screamed past, it gave me plenty of room but what a fright. I was on a bone-jarring fast descent so I could not look back, then 3 more bikers came flying past, impressive, but not for my heart. 
It was too short a ride to head homewards so I turned back inland on the Mossblown road, passing through the village, up the hill to Enterkine house and headed towards Coylton. I had put in a bit of effort so decided my 1st drink stop would be at the River Ayr bridge where I could look out for trout rising if I was lucky. Arrived at the bridge, looked down and no water bottle in the rack. A few curses, I was sure it had not fallen out so I must have left in in the kitchen after filling, dumpling!!
River Ayr from the bridge

Trout ripple bottom left

Some trout rising today but not many, the water level was perfect but the coldness is keeping insect hatches back. I did watch a dipper flit from rock to rock, sticking its head underwater searching for food.
But no water so onward, still cursing as quite a few hills to go and no shops for some time.
A few ups and downs and I came to a back road signposted for Ayr. I had no map but decided to use it and glad I did. Nice and quiet country lane with the biggest climb of the day. One of those sods that you think you have seen the summit until you realise that was just a false top, turn a corner and still more climb, out of the saddle, blowing away but finally made it. It cut out most of the busy Coylton-Ayr road which is traffic heavy with no cycle lanes so worth the effort.
Back via Ayr to Prestwick beachfront and the cycle route home. At least Barassie beach is popular with the wind surfers if not the sun bathers this year.
Last years annual windsurfing show

Waiting for the starting horn

A good lung bursting session, just over 31 miles, not quite Tour de France mountains but good enough for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment