Thursday 15 October 2015

Allermuir Hill...A Pentlands ramble

The way to Capelaw hill and beyond Allermuir
What a day, bright blue skies with a crispness in the air I was heartened as I had allocated today for a tramp around the Pentland Hills.
My chosen destination was Allermuir hill, the only decision to be made was how to get there? There are more than a few options to start from: Bonaly; Colinton; Currie; Harlaw; Dreghorn & Flotterstone and more.
As it was a fine day and I wanted a good stretch of the legs I decided to start from Currie. This route meant that I would be taking in at least 4 individual hill tops and possibly more.
From the village take the road upwards past Currie Kirk and when you reach the right hand bend for Harlaw car park go through the gate and head up the dirt track towards the hills.
Looking back from Harbour hill
Despite the relatively early hour a female mountain biker descended past me with a cheery hello. Once you break out into the open country there are great views of the hills as you walk towards the Maiden's Cleugh. I believe that Cleugh means ravine or steep valley and the latter is a possibility here.
But today I don't descend into the Cleugh, at the gate I turn left and climb up Harbour hill which is documented in a previous blog. From the top the views are already impressive and I take a few minutes to take it all in.
Capelaw, Allermuir then Caerketton from Harbour hill
A descent takes you into Phantom's Cleugh, no phantoms this morning just sheep. A steep climb gets you to the top of Capelaw Hill where the views of Edinburgh & Fife are magnificent. These are only spoilt by the huge plume of smoke/steam belching out from Mossmorran petro-chemical plant. The huge plume looks more like a bomb exploding upwards into the clear sky, West Lomond hill stands to it's right as we look. There is a rather unusual marker post on top of Capelaw although I'm not sure what it is meant to represent. So far I have the hills all to myself. A few self timer photos are attempted but not all successful.
Mossmorran plume of what?
Back down the other side with my main objective, Allermuir Hill, now in my sights. This walk certainly takes you up and down each hill so I am getting my exercise. Another steep pull and the top is reached. Time to enjoy the wonderful views and have a refreshment. Some more walkers arrive from the other direction so a couple of conversations take place and one kindly offers to take my picture. Thanks. The summit has a trig point plus a hill marker so you can spend some time trying to identify them although the haze rules out the more distant hills.
Looking back south over Scald Law ridge
Time to move on to my final hill of this section, Caerketton Hill. Another up and down but this time I spot the dreaded fresh cowpat. Now where are they hiding? On the ascent I spot about half a dozen in the thick heather and ferns to my left but they do not look interested in me so up to the summit which has a small cairn. Again superb views, the views to the south coast, Berwick area, have fully opened up.

On top of Allermuir
I decide to walk along to the final high point above the Hillend dry ski slope. A group of 8 guys appear, not exactly dressed for the outdoors and some more fatigued than others. It turns out they are Danish holidaymakers, I have a chat with the English speakers and they ask about the hills. I show them my map and they agree to try for Allermuir.
Looking towards Caerketton hill
I originally was going to descend at this point and get a bus back but I have made good time and decide that it is too early to head home. I am going to add Castlelaw Hill to today's outing but to get there I have to retrace my steps and re-climb Allermuir Hill. The Danes tag along and 4 of them make good progress whilst the other 4 lag a bit. At the top it's my turn to become the photographer for the Danes holiday snaps.
I head down the grassy slopes then follow the military road up to Castlelaw. It is really the only way up without going through rough moorland pasture. If the red lights are on the military are active but not today. The top is marked by the electronic lights but the views back over Glencorse reservoir valley and the Scald Law chain are excellent.
Glencorse reservoir from Castlelaw
I tramp down and kind of lose my way as the ground becomes very steep, stony and slippery. Thank goodness I took both walking poles with me today, I needed their anchor points.
Finally I get down to Glencorse reservoir and walk the Maiden's Cleugh pass back to Currie.
All in all just over 5 hours of tramping around the Pentlands, excellent views and weather it doesn't get much better than this.
As always I am now ready for that pint or two, It has been fully earned.

No comments:

Post a Comment