Thursday 6 October 2016

Deuchary Hill Dunkeld


My expectations were that this was going to be a straightforward smallish hill with attitude and good views. It was, but it turned out to be a lot more adventurous than my expectations, all my fault of course.
I am using the 'The Hughs' book as this years walking guide and too be fair I have discovered some hills and landscapes that I would have passed by.

From my holiday spot in Pitlochry I drove the short distance to the starting point at the Cally carpark Dunkeld. However, I was to follow the A923 which had a road closed sign just by Dunkeld, diversions in progress and two cars three point turning as I arrived at the turn. Not knowing how far up this road the carpark was I was either brave or foolish, but went through the closed signs and found the car park only about 100 metres ahead, good.
A very bumpy quarter of a mile drive, got parked, only car in situ, got gear together and wandered down to signposts which as you can see there are a few paths around here.

Onwards up the Mill Dam track I went, in good fettle, taking in the changing Autumn colours of the countryside. The guide told me that at Glack kennels go through a metal gate. I reached a big metal gate, sign Glack kennels alongside attached to the fence, so through I went. Yes you have guessed. After a mile and more of steady climbing on a newly laid forest track I was doubting myself. 
Wrong track

It just did not seem right. I had not brought an OS map as I thought it would be straightforward and the book had a small map, big mistake. Luckily the phone had a 4g signal in the middle of a forest, surprising as it doesn't have one in Pitlochry!! Google maps confirmed I was in the wrong place although a faint track might have joined up. Not taking the risk as this was a newly laid forest track so back I went.
At the junction, guess what, a yellow marker sign pointing to the right, twat.
Onwards I went hearing dogs barking in the distance, the kennels? The track is good and I went by Upper Hatton and entered an open area. On my left sheep were being ushered in to a field higher up than I. Watching the sheep I then heard my arch nemesis, coos, bellowing behind me. Looking back a herd of black cows with young were moving at pace down the path I was on. Where had they come from? I walked faster heading towards the building I assumed was the kennels. Safety was reached without a coo attack and guess what a big metal gate!!
Track up the side of Mill Dam
Shortly after I reached Mill Dam and then as guided followed the track turning immediately right following the upper path to Loch Ordie. Fully laden Rowan trees all the way up.
Turn Right
You get some water views of the loch, but no fisherman or boats, and a pleasant, sometimes boggy, path up to a ruined bridge where you then take the immediate right fork.

Again the path has some boggy sections as it climbs gently upwards. I have a hill in my view which I mistakenly think is the objective, not for the last time on this walk. On the slopes I spot a deer in the ferns apparently undisturbed by the shooting on our right, grouse shooting I presume with double shots each time.
Easy to miss turn left
This path is actually a route heading for Loch Ordie, Deuchary hill seems to be a by product as you could easily walk by the almost hidden exit from the track taking you up the hill. It seems just a break in the undergrowth, no sign.
Now, there is a faint trail to follow and a short but pretty steep section, my heart was pounding, lost fitness. The track breaks out into a picturesque clearing and I look to my right at the climb ahead. Wrong again as I soon spot that the track actually goes towards the hill on my left. As I plod upwards, head down, sweat dripping, my peripheral vision catches some deer disappearing over a top, I presume I had disturbed them.
Loch Ordie below
The wind was now pretty strong and cold so outer layer jacket on. I reached the summit and the trig, although it was a grey cloudy day the views are still worth it, albeit not as far and wide as expected. Loch Ordie shows well along with a large white country estate mansion, rich people live down there.
Fallow deer stags
I move the short distance from the trig to the sharks fin of rock which is the true summit when I get my reward for my effort. Two stags are sitting just below the summit, sheltering from the wind. One of them had an unusual coat with a line down its centre and I was unsure about the shape of their antlers. Later research informed me that they are Fallow deer which was a first for me. I watched them for 5 minutes or so before the cold wind decided I was off the top but this is what the effort was worth.
Lochan na Beinne and River Tummel towards Pitlochry
On the way down I spooked a partridge which decided to run down the path in front of me, constantly stopping and looking back, turn into the ferns I thought. On the hill to my left two figures with dogs appeared on the horizon, obviously part of the shooting party, grouse season I presume.
View towards Dunkeld on descent
Back at the kennels I decided to take the cowards approach and avoid the field of cows so followed an alternative track, parallel I thought, towards the Loch of Craiglush. As the trail continued to head in the opposite direction from my destination I got a sense of deja vu from the start of the walk. This time 4g indicated a dead end path. Dilemna I set myself a target of walking a further 1.5 miles and if I had not reached a sign/water/road I would turn back and face the coos. Almost to the mark I saw water and descended to the loch and then walked the road back to the carpark.
There was meant to be a forest trail back to the carpark from the Loch of the Lowes but I did not see it.
Two diversions meant a round trip of 11.97 miles instead of the expected 7-8. Time was 4 hours 44 min. An ascent 1889 ft but all in all a good trek and another 'Hugh' achieved.
Lonely car park
Definitely time for a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment