Sunday 13 August 2017

Ben Arthur aka The Cobbler


Other stuff meant that I wasn't going to make the Killie group walk tomorrow so I decided on a solo trip for today. I also missed out on Ayr's walk to The Cobbler last week so that seemed an opportune choice, must be 25 years since I have been up here.
Early start, missed the traffic and ready to walk for 9. The carpark is under repair so at least no parking charge.
Forecast was for no rain, yippee, might get a view from the top at last.
I quickly remembered the easy zigzag start to the walk, lined with flowers, bushes & trees, building the gradient up gradually. Last time when I was here I went to the right and up the front of Narnain but not today. At the Cowal path a quick left, then right and onwards up the well made path until about an hour into the walk I break out onto open land and get my first sighting of the hill. 
There is no deviation from the path so happily there are no navigational issues to worry about, this is a tourist trail for the moment. Plenty of dogs around today but sadly also some piles of dog dirt on the edges, not nice. The Allt a Bhalachain (burn) is roaring loudly just below on my left. The water is running fast with all the rain we have had recently. Even though I am an early starter a couple are already descending followed by a runner. In the group ahead a couple of guys, in the true Clydesider tradition, are smoking on the way up.
Left scramble route Right tourist path (also for Narnain & Ime)
Just after the Narnain boulders the tourist track continues following the Narnain sign. However I am going to ascend via the scrambling route which is new to me. On the Walkhighlands route this is an optional descent but from my experience I would rather go up than down it. Definitely not a tourist path. There are some people climbing ahead to take a steer from. I can see small figures on the summits so still a fair way to get up there.
Scramble joins ridge just below North peak
Quite quickly the path has gone along with my stamina, I am puffing away. To be fair there is a faint line of sight that this is the way to go. At times it is full on scrambling, hands, feet, knees you name it. The walking poles are a hinderance not an aid. Water is streaming down in places so a lot of wet and slippery boulders to contend with as well as the scree. 

I was well and truely blowing know but later checking the heart rate data it showed it at a reasonable level, it didn't quite feel that normal at the time. Looking back down the slope a few more walkers are following this route as well.
Looking back from scramble Ben nevis
Finally I am getting there, near the top, a short section of path appears and is very welcome. Reaching the ridge I spot the small boulder pile which marks the end of that bit. Not sure why I struggled a bit, just an off day I hope.

Another short ascent and I am now at the pinnacle, the highest point of the hill. Sadly I am too much of a coward to to go through the opening (didn't do it 1st time either) but a couple of climbers did, well done to them.

Thankfully the views are superb today, the first in how many outings? Even though it is a cold wind up here I spend quite some time just soaking it all in.
A wander about the tops, all great views and then I decide to follow the tourist trail back. The steps are sore on the knees, the scramble seemed easier. Stop and looking at Ime I am surprised how many walkers are on the hill. One big group are about 3/4's way up (maybe a Ramblers group), and below another group about to start their ascent. Cloud briefly smothers the top but quickly blows over. People can be seen climbing up Narnain as well, probably a few are doing double or even triple hills today. Not for me I have climbed Narnain but will make another day out for Beinne Ime. a great day to be outdoors.
North peak with Beinn Narnain behind
On the descent I pass many of the daytrippers who are now out in force, glad I started early. Some of the gear being worn looks more suitable to the clubs than the hills but their choice.
Nice views of Ben Lomond, Loch Long and the Luss area hills to keep me interested on the descent.
Overall an enjoyable nostalgic trip and the weather stayed good, the views superb, what's not to like.

No comments:

Post a Comment