Friday 1 December 2017

Panic on Nutberry Hill

A crisp last day of Autumn, not to be wasted indoors. I chose the sub 2000, Nutberry Hill 522m, remote moorland but should be snow free. Minus 2 degrees on the car warning as I approached the start from Strathaven. 
The only trail marker spotted
I parked just at the farm entrance, beside the Martyr’s grave signpost (the last signpost I spotted on the trip), enough room for one car without blocking access, I hope. 
You can almost see Nutberry Hill way in the distance up at the far tree line but it is hidden behind. As I looked I did not imagine the panic that would occur later on the walk, but more of that in due course.
Cold start 
An exciting outing today as I was using my new GPS for the 1st time, indeed any handheld map GPS. Always been map and compass but if you don’t want to be labelled an old dog learn new tricks. Chuffed I had downloaded a track/route from Google earth, would it work?
I walked the icy and rutted farm track, take left branch which is a clear follow all the way to Priesthill, where I had to make my first decision. Go to the left as there is the ruin of an old fence with stile!! Or actually go up the short tree line and emerge onto moor. Out with GPS and it seemed to suggest the tree line, fine.
Now onto the big open moor and the first objective was the Martyr’s grave of John Brown. Just one of many Covenanter memorials in this area but this one is well remote and hidden from view.  
Thankfully the recent cold snap had hardened some of the ground but still many plunges into deeper stuff. The poles were well used today. The wind was biting but I was well wrapped up.
As I am reluctant to stop and put on my reading glasses I followed my memory and trekked across the moor waiting for a high point which never materialises in the lower slopes. Just tussocky moorland and no features, couldn’t even see the tree line anymore.
Spotted the grave in distance
No obvious trail to follow other than sheep lines but I thought the grave must be nearby. Stopped and GPS out, well I was west of my purple line so angled in the direction of the grave waymarker and before long I was looking down on it.
John Brown's grave
Another GPS check and a line at 10 o’clock should get me to this hilltop. Other reports have headed for the trees but the weather was bright, should not get lost, so follow my more straight purple line.
There was plenty of zig zagging avoiding the reeds and wet bits as much as I could. Finally I reached the fence line and stopped to get an apple from my rucksack. Good view ahead of Nutberry Hill, half an hour I imagine.
Snowy Arran behind turbines
What are the views, well mixed. Great if you like wind turbines not if you don’t. 
However the better views included Arran, Middlefield Law, Cairn Table, Lowther Hill radar station amongst others.
Windfarm nightmare
I climbed over the barbed wire fence managing to avoid ripping my trousers and made a bee line for the right angle corner to then turn up to the trig. This was by far the heaviest going so far, much deeper tussocks, lots more deep water, much of it hidden, so I angled slightly away from the direct line and headed for the next fence.
This was now easier walking apart from the buried stumps of the previous fence that I kept tripping over, but it took me without incident to the corner and then up the short pull through the more grassy slopes to the trig. 
Pleased, I went to get my GPS to check my trip data and to my horror it was not attached to my rucksack strap. I had bought a protective cover which could not be used with the secure clip but it seemed to have a decent attachment to my strap.
Lots of cursing, panic and I immediately set off downhill trying to retrace my steps but in this terrain I soon realised this was a lost cause. The last time I looked at the unit was just before the first fence, no need to look afterwards since as a I had a clear line of sight to the trig. But the terrain just after had been so rough it could have fallen off in that.
Gps lies on tussock at 9oclock could not be seen when I planted poles from other side of fence
I took the shortest way I could back to the fence but had no clear marker as to where I crossed it. I leaned over and stuck my poles in at a point I thought was around my crossing and walked up this side of the fence to a gate I had noticed just after crossing, eyes focussed on the ground. 
No joy so walked back the other side to my poles. Again no joy, almost greeting, my new toy!! I picked up my poles and miracles as I was looking down to adjust them I spotted the black cover on a tussock. Wow what relief. Look at the snap how jammy was that? Get the lottery ticket bought.
Zoomed Lowther Hill radar
GPS safely tucked away I headed back and decided to eat my apple, as I had eaten nothing in my panic attack at trig, chomp and bit my tongue. Real pain, more screams, blood flowing, this was definitely a hill to remember.
No more dramas on the descent, I just made the most direct line I could back to the farm and onto the car. 
Weather front looming
Just as I reached Priesthill the winds increased somewhat and looking back the sky was blackening, so much for the clear day.
Back at the car I reflected that despite everything I had enjoyed it. The going was mostly awkward walking but at least the skies were blue and I was dressed for the cold. 
However, lessons learned, proper attachment from now on and see if it has a set up ‘find my GPS’ to my phone. Sub 2000’s always seem to bring more drama the big boys!!
Thankfully my watch GPS functioned fine so I still had my walk data.
Wildlife: buzzard, raven and grey wagtail.

Time: 3.56
Distance: 7.94m (12.79km)
Ascent: 978ft (299m)



No comments:

Post a Comment