Tuesday 26 June 2018

Stunning Ben More Mull

On a beautiful morning such as this, Ben More (Mull) is as straightforward as a Munro can be.
On the drive along Loch na Keal I was so jealous of the overnight campers waking up to this glorious setting, the water so tranquil that any hunting otter should be easily spotted, but not for me as I was concentrating on finding the parking area. (P.S. the next day we spotted a mother and 2 pups very close to this walks start, 5 minutes of joy).
The start with Ben More in view
I appeared to be the 1st walker heading up the hill today and it was already very warm.
In good visibility it is not a hill to easily get lost on as there is a good substantial track all the way up.
Grassy terrain at first then over the burn where it becomes a progressively stonier track as height is gained.
Small falls
Simply head down and plod on alongside the Abhainn Dhiseig which was crystal clear and I was thinking I might need some of it for hydration on the descent. A nice sound of running water to keep me company.
I spot a couple of walkers behind so not a solo day.
Red deer cooling off
As I climbed I looked towards a lochan on my right and spot objects moving in the water, has to be red deer cooling off, jealous again. Camera was on extended zoom so crap photo but just to prove they were there.
Typical stone track
The wind had picked up chilling my sweaty body, I might even need to put a top on at the summit.
I had a close up of a golden eagle flying past, too quick to get camera out of bag, but it looked as if it had something small in one of its talons.
One of many cairns
There are numerous small cairns on this scree and partially eroded tourist track.
Up the steep final zig zags and I was almost there, a short walk along the ridge was all it took, 1hr 50 very pleased with that.
Clouds circle Coire
The views were truly outstanding in all directions with this perfect air clarity quite unusual for this time of year.
Add caption
At times it really atmospheric as the clouds came in from the west and went through quickly I was slightly concerned it would linger and stop views from the top but not the case.
A' Chioch
What a spot to have my break and just soak it all in. The near side views starting with A’ Chioch down below just breathtaking. 
Coire nan Gabhair with Loch na Keal below
Coire nan Gabhair in and out of cloud. The tops of Fhada, Gabhair and Ghraig prominent. 
Ben more ridge extension and Loch Ba
Further afield, how many mountain tops can be seen, too many for me to count? Just keep turning 360 deg and something else is spotted in the distance, as good as it gets. The Paps of Jura and is that Arran?
Descending views north including Ulva
Sadly time to get back and meet the good lady, stopping for a chat with the half a dozen parties now on the way up. 
Also taking my time to fully appreciate the grand views of northern Mull, Ulva etc, yesterday's hill Beinn na Drise is clear. Ardnamurchan and a multitude of isles.
A fab day with views to remember for a long time.

Time: 4.01hr
Ascent: 3203ft
Distance: 6.2m

No comments:

Post a Comment