Sunday 22 July 2018

The Lomond Hills

I had a change of plan today from my original 3 Moorfoot Donald’s to 2 Fife Sub 2000’s. In reality this was a good choice as it was sweltering hot and my legs were just not on it today.
I also did these the easy way firstly copping out by driving up to the East Lomond car park. 
An interesting notice board to spend some time reading re the history of the hill as a fortress, artefacts that have been discovered and no wonder with this vantage point. 
A few people around already eating at tables, tourists? 
East Lomond viewfinder looking towards West Lomond
Then simply a case of a short walk up to the summit of East Lomond 380m. Delighted to see a kestrel hovering, a rare sight these days. Despite its short stature it commands open views for far and wide.
Falkland below
What views despite the warm air. As the plaque points out a multitude of hills, Schiehallion’s point is clear, Lochnagar is in sight, a conquest from a few weeks ago but I will have to take the direction indicator‘s word.
Back down and a not easy trip to the Cairnsmede parking area, sat nav would not recognise it. In Falkland, no signage so I resorted to Google maps which did the trick and got me there.
As soon as I left the woods East Lomond is very close behind but I am heading the other way across the moor. A straightforward trudge along a well maintained track where a surprisingly wet peat hag was evident.
West Lomond
In this prolong heat every other one on bigger hills have dried up. Continuing this track until I reach the base. The track goes left and maybe winds round it but there is a direct path carved out by a few walkers.
West Lomond trig
It is a short sharp ascent, there a few people resting about half way up.
Protesting calves got me to the trig of West Lomond, 522m, higher than its close neighbour. The trig was covered everywhere by a very large swarm of wasps who were angrily buzzing around it and the nearby rocks. Not the place to take lunch.
Looking back to East Lomond
Fortunately a few good spots nearby and even better views of the distant hills as well as the lush Fife countryside and Loch Leven. I remember fishing it on a day like this, nothing moved or was caught.
Just a great 360 panorama to enjoy with my banana and crisps. All the way to Tinto in the south, Berwick Law, the Firth of Forth and the northern hills, too many for me to identify.

Apart from the wasps, a couple of pipits, a few butterflies and a young hare was all on show here.
A short warm hike back to the car, as said that was enough for today.

Combined stats.
Time:
Ascent:
Distance:

No comments:

Post a Comment