Friday 15 November 2019

Striding out to visit an Arch

Hill: Colt Hill, Dumfries & Galloway
Category: Sub2k
Height: 598m
Last night over a beer or two I put together my winter list of my local hills and walks. It is a bit of a nerdy thing but it helps my motivation, each to their own I suppose.
So fully motivated I decided that tomorrow I would set out to do one from the list. The one chosen, Colt Hill, was also on last years list and I did set out to complete it. Last year, or maybe early this year, it was a crisp blue morning, scraped the car and the temperature gauge showed freezing when I left. Still took it easy, a slow and safe drive, roads fine until I cut off at Carsphairn on to the Moniaive road. Initially it was ok but it then it was a skating rink and I passed two vehicles already off the road, occupants not around so hopefully ok. Clear glass so they had not been here overnight. A slow 10 mile drive to the village.
From Moniaive it is then a 5-6 mile drive along a worsening B road which becomes a D road then just a thin strip with big holes. Totally iced up in places, steep drops, almost no places to pass I was stressed by the time I got to the parking area. As I arrived the snow started and before I could get the boots on I was covered in white stuff. On my own, concerned about the return on that track so walk aborted.
Guess what I woke up to today, crisp blue skies and the car frost covered.
Lay in bed, read the online paper then gave myself a good talking to, ‘man up’ to quote Boris, so I did.
The start aiming for the green one in the middle
An uneventful drive to Moniaive and then once again along the bumpy unsurfaced track praying nothing coming the other way, not much ice, just coos blocking it but they moved!!
Quote from Walkhighlands ‘The Striding Arches are a series of three massive stone sandstone arches built on the hilltops around Cairnhead, near Moniaive. Built by renowned sculptor Andy Goldsworthy, the arches are complemented by another springing from an old byre at the foot of the valley’. As well as ticking off the Sub2K I wanted to see one of these up close.
Before beginning the walk proper, double back from the parking area and information board to take the parallel track heading uphill, to visit the Byre. 
Walkhighlands quote ‘The track leads past a derelict cottage to enter a walled green lawn - with poems carved into the stones. 
I parked at Benbuie, taking care not to block the house access. Just as well the owner was there on my return and clearly not happy to see my car parked.
There is a gate beside this which can be accessed by a car to the information board, but as said I just started here.
A wooden bridge saves fording the burn
There is not a lot to say about the walk. Head up to the information board, spend some time reading all the sides it is worth it. Either visit the ruined byre now or leave it until the way back.
You can use this route for both Colt Hill & Benbrack, your choice but combining both better left for longer daylight days and if you are going to do all three you better have Superman fitness or be just plain mad.
Just continue on this track which after the small wooden bridge becomes a forestry road and yes their vehicles were coming up and down, not many, it is operational.
Fire break could join up with Benbrack trail
Nice small waterfall at the firebreak at a small burn that eventually joins  the Fingland Burn, for once I wasn’t having to negotiate this rough ground.
Finally a sign, looks old
Having ignored any possible turn off the track eventually brings you to a vehicle turning point and a signpost. I had wondered at the lack of signage but I suppose you cannot go wrong.
Head up the fence
There is an optional track to the right and one straight on but take the obvious track towards the fencing then simply follow this up to the top. Suddenly the Colt Hill Arch appears a short way ahead.
Colt Hill arch and trig
It was blinking cold with a biting wind which surprisingly had been evident down to the lower reaches.
Super views on a day like this, the other two Arches are clearly seen.
Technical stuff now: the highest Arch is on Benbrack, which I might be going to on Sunday. ‘It stands just under four metres high, and stretches across 7 metres. It is built from 31 blocks of hand-dressed red sandstone weighing approximately 27 tons’, impressive indeed. 
Benbrack Arch
Looking at the snap later I spot two figures at that arch. Now I think about there was a car parked at the normal starting point for Benbrack.
Carsphairn hills from Colt Hill
Looking east the ball on Lowther Hill stands out along with the Durisdeer Hills and further on the Moffat hills. Across the way Cairnsmore of Carsphairn snow clad on this side. Earlier this year I climbed Moorbrock and nice to see it from this angle. Beautiful clear views, just ignore the turbines.
If you are feeling good descend back to the turning point and follow the obvious track to the Benbrack arch adding some 7k but check out your descent route with all this deforestation, might help but likely not.
Bail Hill Arch the remote one
The third arch is on Bail Hill which can also be seen from here. Research suggests that you will not visit it as it is difficult walking, no paths, difficult ground so only for keen/mad walkers.
Still nice colours around
For me it was just a case of retracing my steps and heading to Thornhill for a coffee. 

Wildlife: Buzzard; Bullfinch; Chaffinch; Blue Tit; Blackbird: Robin; Crow; Magpie.
Time: 2.23
Ascent: 400m
Distance: 11.3km 

No comments:

Post a Comment