Monday 2 August 2021

A Dalmally horseshoe but not the normal one.....Beinn a'Chocuill & Beinn Eunaich

Hill: Beinn a'Chochuill (Mountain of the cowl/hood) (980m) & Beinn Eunaich (Bird rich mountain) (989m)

Type: Munro x2

For a good part of my working life I drove to Oban at least once a month, probably over 15 - 20 years. On plenty of good weather occasions I descended from Loch Awe and my eye would be drawn to the Dalmally hills. The main focus was Cruachan but my desires were for its neighbours. The Dalmally horseshoe is on my to-do list but the next pair always stood out and that was todays target. The descent from Loch Awe is the only place you can view both Munros in full.

After yesterdays big day in the heat this was meant to be the shorter recovery day but when I put the detail last night in I realised the ascent was actually higher than yesterdays big day, failing to prepare etc. I also had left it from previous trips as I wanted the views but again!! Still I was here so on with it.

Passing the farm track heads up flanks of Beinn Eunaich
Had my brekkie and set off early but after 5 miles the blue skies I had left had turned into mist and fog in Glen Lochy. At the start it had lifted slightly but not by much. Also the few parking areas were full so I had to edge in further down.

Just sheep for company heading up the track
The initial section followed an estate/mine track and was a continual rise. Even in these conditions it was warm work and I was perspiring. Passed the descent cairn which could be used if you wanted an anti clockwise circuit but that makes it a tougher start. 

Guess this pile of stones means start the long climb in the gloom
Finally I reached my pile of stones to head up the SW flank of Chochuill. Not that it made any difference, I could have been on any grassy flank as I could see little distance ahead.

Got a fright when I rounded a boulder to find an elderly woman standing still. I had not spotted anyone on the track. There was no movement so I asked if she was ok. A posh voice said yes, just to go on she would take her time.

Ridge starting to appear thank goodness I can see something, big corrie on right
So I did, onwards and upwards. I didn't get a view until about 50 metres from the ridge. On the ascent all I could see was more and more steep slopes emerging out of the gloom, this top sure teases with you. The cloud was warm, no breeze and I was sweating buckets. I have never ever sweated this much on a walk. My clothes felt like I had stood in the shower, not the best feeling.

Finally a track but not the summit 
Finally I emerged from the clouds to meet a young couple descending. The girl giving me strange looks in my sodden gear, but did I care?

The top shows itself
Of course this is not the top and a kilometre long ascending ridge walk is made to reach the summit. Sadly I wasnt getting any of the hoped for views into the glens etc but tops were peaking out, in particular the Etive Munros and the Black Mount hills. 

Pointed peak is Ben Cruachan
Ben Cruachan tops are occasionally glimpsed but not the views I wanted of its hidden corries.

I headed back along the ridge and met a group of five youngsters who were going anti clockwise. Had a nice chat then off we went.

Heading back to the cloud and flanks of Eunaich showing briefly
As I walked along the ridge the cloud lowered again and with the brief glimpses Eunaich looked particularly steep and pointed. I knew that I was also going to lose a few hundred metres would these legs survive. Briefly contemplated descending via ascent route but talked myself out of it. Luckily it stayed in its cloud shroud so I could not get too distracted.

Still in cloud the descent seemed an age before the legs told me I was going upwards again. Actually it was a case of it looked worse than reality. A  trail meandered upwards to the boulders where it became a case of pick your route utilising the grassy areas before the top came in sight. 

From Eunaich summit more of Cruachan ridge showing
Still I had a few recovery pauses so glad to get to the top. The cairn is just after the boulder field. There is a large horseshoe cairn for a shelter if required. Views not much better although the Cruachan ridge was briefly showing itself fuller than earlier.

The ridge walk had dried my gear out so a more pleasant feeling on the descent.

Descent ridge back into the cloud
Still very cloudy but getting much hotter. The descent following the ridge is a very long one. The track comes and goes and constantly checking my bearing. Easy to go wrong up here. 

Just before I descended the steep track Loch Awe appears
Reached the peat hags just as the views opened up. The descent back to the track was almost 300m and really awkward. Narrow fissures of stone/boulder scree almost impossible to walk on at times. The grassy sides when available were so dry and bare that there was no purchase there either. A very slow descent that seemed never-ending.

The track walk back to the car also seemed longer in this heat. Although I had drank plenty of water there is only so much refreshment you get from warmish water from a bladder pack. Sadly no running water around to get fresh cooler water.

View from farm again, Chocuill in middle & Eunaich right
I was glad to get back to the car and get a full gear change even in the toasting heat. It was a good walk and certainly demanding. It is a full on ascent of Chochuill from almost sea level so these Munros make you work hard for the bragging rights. Glad I did them.

Ascent: 1219m

Distance: 14.7km

Time: 5.46

Wildlife: Stonechat; Pied Wagtail; Raven; Meadow Pipit; 

No comments:

Post a Comment