Tuesday 20 June 2023

A cracker of a day and a double bag.....Beinn Ghoblar & Cnoc a'Bhaid-rallaich

Hill: Beinn Ghobhlach (Forked mountain) (635m) & Cnoc a’Bhaid-rallaich (544m)

Type: Fiona & Sub2k

The rest of the group were 


off Munro bagging but with a forecast of very hot weather I did not fancy an estimated 8-10 hour day so opted for my pair of hills. No doubt the Munro group would see a few other people but I expected far less and indeed saw nobody, total isolation, not such a bad thing.

Heading to the left of the crags

Across Little Loch Broom the Corbett Sail Mhor under cloud



I was not going the long way round via the western side of the hill which solo Graham/Fiona baggers might do but instead I left the path almost immediately, just after the deer fence, and took a diagonal/meandering ascent up the pathless slopes. It was very steep at times but surprisingly I did not feel too bad. It was a case of going so far, taking a look at the terrain ahead and pick a route and so on. Avoiding the crags was not difficult. An ascent of about 30 minutes of looking at the terrain in your face, find your next steps and keep going. I took the occasional breather to enjoy the sideways views, better than just looking at grass and stuff in front of my nose. In parts the bracken was already waist high but it was avoidable for the most part, maybe not so easy in a few weeks.

Ghobhlach ahead 
I reached the initial high point and could now see Beinn Ghobhlach ahead. But dilemma time. To go the traditional route meant losing about 90m of the gain or stick with the ridge and go longer before dropping.

I decided to go down and walk between the two lochs. Fairly dry but some sections needed careful attention and I can imagine it could be very different under wet conditions.

Looking back to lochans and Sail Mhor
The final section was no worse than before but actually felt a lot longer. In reality it was a bit of a slog and looking back it was now significantly higher than the earlier high point.

Summer Isles ahead


West ridge


Ben More Coigach
On the ridge a final rocky ascent leads to the summit and the views do not disappoint.

I walked along to the east ridge to enjoy the full spectacular of as good a 360deg perspective that you can get.

Sub2k directly over the lochan but I went well left of it
I had made good time so decided to take in the Sub2k. If the ground had been wetter I might have avoided this extension but although I had a clear view of the peat hagged terrain I decided the hard ground should be safe.

I spotted movement and it was a small herd of goats, but they did want to snapped. The male had superb horns but every time I raised my camera they disappeared over the horizon. I could only try a few times before giving up but I did get a long distance snap when down below.

Full extension to get the goats

Could be very different after a wet spell
The peat hag section was relatively good but a couple of times the ground looked iffy and when I put my walking pole in it went almost to the handle, my worst nightmare, sinking into a bog on a solo ramble. Thankfully I found more risk adverse crossings.

Little Loch Broom, Fannichs & An Teallach 

Ghobhlach from Cnoc

Snake or lizard rock?
A ‘straight line’ route took me up the 150m ascent to the top of Cnoc a’Bhaid-rallaich which turned out to be a fairly broad stoney section that you can walk along and take in the myriad of views. A cracking spot for a refreshment break.

Ullapool


Now time for the descent. The very steep and at times very dry grassy slopes were a straightforward but quite painful descent for me. My knee is complaining. I could see the metal vehicles at the walk start glistening in the sun below me so I knew roughly where I was heading.

A slow steady plod before I spotted the deer fence and then a choice of left or right. I chose left and followed a burn rake avoiding the heather back to the car.

An excellent ramble in conditions that turned very warm. Better my ramble and two bags than double that time for two Munros and dare I say it, possibly poorer views. And for me not another person to be seen, just me and nature on a beautiful day, my kind of ramble.

Ascent: 857m

Distance: 8.9km

Time: 4.25

Wildlife: Red Deer; Common Frog; Wild Goat; Orange tip (m+f); Common Lizard; Meadow Pipit; Hooded Crow;

No comments:

Post a Comment