Monday 17 June 2013

Glen Tilt - Old Bridge of Tilt - Gaw's Bridge

For my final walk of this trip I opted for a short low level walk into Glen Tilt. This was a new glen for me, but it looked magnificent when I saw section of it on the TV. This was a programme about the new long distance walk from south to north Scotland by Cameron McNeish. As time was again my enemy I decided against starting in Blair Atholl but went up to the car park at Old Bridge of Tilt. There were only a couple of cars in the car park this morning but it is clearly popular as when I returned it was almost full. 
By starting here I missed out on on walking part of the forest walk alongside the River Tilt from Blair Atholl, if you want to start here ample parking is available. However, I joined the forest walk section almost immediately on leaving the car park. There is an option to walk the forest road but pick the river/gorge section first. 
Beware there is a warning sign about the steepness of the gorge and it is true, at times the drop was massive, straight down and no protection along the path. If you are careful it is not a problem. You follow the track & gorge path through Leathad Mor Wood. Again carpets of wild garlic scent the air, I cannot recall seeing as much wild garlic as I have this year. After about 30 minutes I was hoping to take the track off this path to climb out of the wood and get some views. Unluckily today the route was closed as it skirts a rifle range and today was a shooting day. Just as well as the noise of the shots, creating a major whooshing sound reverberated in the glen. I have never heard shots like this. It made me think about the poor people in war zones being trapped by high power sniper rifle-fire  I don't know much about the power of rifles but these were clearly the top of the power range. Shortly after from the path I could make out the shooters high in the hills and at least half a mile later I spotted the targets.
Open countryside at last

At Gilberts bridge I could have crossed over and joined that closed path but I did not realise at the time that I had passed the limit of the firing range. I only found this out when I rejoined it on the way back. You are now coming out of the woods into hill country still bordering the tumbling and gorgeous River Tilt. 

River Tilt
There is something about rivers, not just because of my fishing interests, that are special places. The path follows the river so no climbing involved. So far not met anyone else. The views north of the mountains ahead are spectacular on a day like this with blue sky and patchy clouds, some heat, brilliant.
The path has now fully opened out to the countryside, plenty of sheep around a cuckoo calling. I pass Marble Lodge and the cottage for hire. Its got a satellite dish which you would need as you are a long way from Blair Atholl. I take a break at Gaw's Bridge and look at my map. Just as I was doing so over the hill to my left flies a golden eagle, what a sight. 
Looking north from Gaws Bridge
Flying in circles lower down at first, then it catches a thermal and spirals onward and upward into the blue sky until even with the binoculars it has gone from sight. That just made my day. I was now about 2 and a half hours into my walk so that was far enough for today.
Good news, the map showed that I could walk back on the other side of the river for a good distance, some elevation would give me a different perspective and alternative views rather than just retracing my steps. My main concern regarding this route was the firing range closure but as said earlier you rejoin the main track again after crossing Gilberts bridge. If the firing range access was open then you continue on this side and do not cross the bridge. There is a fairly clear line re a path on this side so you can't go wrong. Still plenty of sheep to avoid and I spotted a couple of deer on a ridge ahead of me. But it was just a fleeting glimpse, no posing for the camera. A slight detour took me to some ruins with a viewpoint looking north.
As I was coming back to rejoin the path I noticed 5 groups of teenagers, all with full rucksacks making their way up the glen. Probably doing the full trip with an overnight stop, lucky them.
Viewpoint from the ruins
The return is straightforward, backtracking your walk in back down the forest track, not the most exciting but still enjoyable.
In total out for about 5 hours which fitted in with my schedule. Next year might try the full route to Braemar. It also looks a cracking mountain bike ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment