Monday 10 June 2013

River Ayr a short walk

Hi another wild windy stormy day, home from home on the coast in the West of Scotland. Decided to go slightly inland today and it never fails to surprise how quickly the wind drops just moving a few miles inland from the coast.
Today is about photography and working out how to use the Nikon D5000 SLR camera in manual mode, very much trial and error day and lots of tears and sweary words.
After a short stroll I came to the Enterkine viaduct, picture below, impressive structure, used mainly for coal transportation. Looks a good spot for a peregrine to nest, will need to check that out on another trip.
Just after this photo I came past a landslip area which I suspect has more to slip and if so the path may be blocked soon, no obvious detour route. However, a bright spot, within the soft mud were fresh otter pawprints, but I did not see the live otter today. Although mainly nocturnal I have seen an otter 3 times, during the day, on the nearby River Irvine just in the last couple of months.
The following photo is looking back upriver towards the viaduct area. A nice area and during my 2 hours or so I had a solo day, did not see anyone until I returned to the parking area.
Encouragingly around this stretch of the river I noticed a few brown trout rising to feed, I was thinking about joining this river next year, looks a good wading river so one to investigate as it has both brownies and salmon.
By this stage I have taken and deleted countless images, thank god for digital cameras. The old days being full of anticipation, getting your photos printed and realising your limitations cost a lot of money. Quite liked this tree fungi snap.
Further upriver I came across a dead tree which had some amazing patterns running both horizontally and vertically. Liked this abstract version which reminded me of the running river bed.
Strolled along the river to the weir at Stair, I did attempt to walk further upriver but another landslip had totally blocked the path. A diversion was in place up country lanes etc but I decided to retrace my steps.
Disappointingly little birdlife around today, some female goosanders on the river, also spotted wren; robin; woodpigeon; crow; rook; greenfinches and a buzzard.
Lastly some trees in autumn colours looking downriver from the Gadgirth bridge.
PS just beside this there is a section of woodland for sale with some fishing rights if you have a spare £19000!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment