Sunday 5 April 2015

Ayrshire Coastal Path Dunure - Ayr


Another cracking short walk along the coastal path. I was in two minds about doing this today as high tide was not in my favour being due at noon. The guide indicated 2 possible areas of tidal barriers but what the hell I decided I wanted the walk.
Heads of Ayr & Greenan castle
On public transport today and arrived at Ayr bus station with a wait of around half an hour for the Dunure bus so a quick decision was made and I walked the route in reverse.
The weather was reasonable, dull and slightly chilly but the forecast was for an improvement as the day progressed.
A short walk took me down to the beach to the spot where I finished the Troon - Ayr section. 
There is a walk along the beach for about a mile until you reach the crossing over the River Doon. It was early so only a few dog walkers and joggers sharing the beach, all of us avoiding the council tractor cleaning the beach. One advantage in walking this way is that you get a good view of the way ahead via the Heads of Ayr along with the Carrick hills behind.
Greenan castle

Once across the bridge go back onto the beach. In winter this can be a good spot for bird watchers but apart from the normal collection of swans a pair of teal were the only ones around. The beach is an easy walk the only detours being to avoid the rotting seaweed.
The first viewpoint is the ruin of Greenan castle, particularly imposing when standing directly below the cliffs, looking up and hoping nothing cascades down. The tide has not hindered progress and I manage to go round the rocks ahead. If the tide is too high there is a clear alternative slightly inland.
Gorse in bloom
The beach route now passes the caravan park which once was the famous Butlins. There are quite a few more people around this stretch. I have now reached the Heads of Ayr and it is 11.30, half an hour before high tide. Today is a calm tide with the waves gently lapping in and I am optimistic about going round the bottom of the cliffs. However a couple of minutes later I talk to a couple of guys enjoying their sandwich. They had walked from Dunure and looking forward they had decided not to go the sea route in case they got trapped but instead had trampled across some muddy fields.
The trapped goat
I decided to not follow their route but to climb up to the top of the Heads which was a bonus as the views were tremendous AND a goat was rescued possibly life saving. I walked across the end of the golf course into some woods. There was a barbed wire fence clearly discouraging walkers from this option. In the trees I could hear bleating which sounded like a distressed animal. I followed the sound clambering through low trees and brambles, not so easy with the rucksack catching stuff and came across this fellow with its head stuck in the narrow squares of the wire fence. Its horns were catching on the wire stopping it getting back. There was a lot of wool around suggesting it had been stuck for a while. A scramble across the barbed wire to get ahead of it. Now a firm grip of the horns, quite a few twists and tugs, angling its head and free it now was, a shake of the head and a thank you normal bleat and there it was wondering what had happened and thinking about food.
Selfie at trig point don't step back!!
A clamber up the hill following the fence plus climbing a few more barbed ones and I reached the top of the hill which now gives super views all round. Looking back I hadn't realised just how big the caravan park is until viewed from here. A hare jumped out of the trees just ahead. The going is now straight forward and you can follow the hill top fence getting spectacular views out to sea. I come across a trig point situated just over the fence. I go over the fence, barbed again, to take a selfie and realise there is a long drop immediately behind the trig, so be very careful if you do likewise. Looking down from time to time it looks as if I could have made it via the beach route but with these views I am happy with my choice.
Steep drops ahead if you go to near the edge
Following the fence there are now full views of Bracken Bay and the route ahead. Keep following the fence until you reach the track that runs in front of the caravan park for a short stretch. Its a bit boggy here but ok if you watch your steps. The next stretch joins the old railway line, a huge gouge through the granite shows the scale of what was attempted and abandoned many years ago. The gorse is in full bloom so vivid yellow flowers brighten up the day. Its needed as the weather has not really improved, still a bit chilly on the hands. An almost albino pheasant jumps out, never seen one like that before. Beautiful yellowhammers are abundant, the first of the season for me. Other birds spotted on this stretch were:robin; chaffinch; pied wagtail; ravens and crows. There are said to be Peregrines on the cliffs but I didn't see them today.
Looking south to Bracken bay and the way ahead
I cross an open field, thankfully only sheep, no cattle today. This leads to the steps that descend into Fisherton Bay. Apparently these were laid by Ayr Rotary Club, well done folks. They are starting to disintegrate in places as the seeping water takes its toll eroding the ground surrounding some of the steps.
Steps to Fisherton bay
The bay at times is shingle and easy walking with the usual amazing variety of rocks. It never fails to amaze me the colours and shapes of the rocks and pebbles around this coast. If this is your hobby you could spend a long time here.
Rocky shoreline
I have now reached the last possible tide blockage and there is no alternative other than to turn back if the tide is too high. Fortunately, albeit it is high tide, I can scramble across the rocks at the small waterfall. You can see from the picture that the water would be a challenge, wet feet time. However I can see that with big waves coming in with a high tide this would be a totally different scenario. 
The small waterfall
Out at sea cormorants, eider and some gulls are the only obvious birdlife. I thought I might spot a seal but not be.
A short rocky walk leads to a short boggy uphill section and when I reach the top I can see Dunure castle in the distance. 
Dunure castle
This section is marked by white painted stones as the cattle would knock down posts. Cattle, immediately dark thoughts go through my brain, but again none to be seen.
A short stint leads to Dunure harbour where as I arrive a yacht is sailing out leaving only four small boats in the harbour. A sign of the times. There is a pub and cafe here. 
Dunure
A short stroll from the harbour brings me to Dunure castle and the end of today's section. About 9 miles in a relaxed 3 hours 30 minutes. Again a great short walk with magnificent views. The bus is due in about 20 minutes so no long waits this afternoon.
Dunure harbour


No comments:

Post a Comment